GFCI Outlet Problem
Tried to follow this but got confused because you mention 2 different gfci outlets. Is the outlet to the pool a circuit by itself and that is the only gfci on that circuit???  You will run into problems if 2 or more gfcis are used on the same circuit or if you are using a 2 circuit 3wire setup. Are we talking about the garage or the pool???
John T.
why would putting more than one on a circuit be a problem?  If they are isolated shouldn't be any different than any other device
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(08-08-2017, 11:32 PM)Bob10 Wrote: why would putting more than one on a circuit be a problem?  If they are isolated shouldn't be any different than any other device

Would not be a problem on same circuit, even if they were in series it would just be a race as to which one trips first.     Sounds like he has it wired wrong.   Do as suggested disconnect the wiring off the gfci, check which is hot and the neutral feed, connect them and restore power without any feed through wires attached and see if that works. then proceed from there.   The burnt wiring is most likely from a bad connection that overheated.   A gfci or breaker would not necessarily see a problem, a arc fault breaker may see it.     When rewiring the grfci read the markings as to how it is to be connected, don't go by top and bottom if changing it out.
  Roly
Two separate GFCI's

Six months ago, the GFCI outlet by the pool equipment went out.  Would not reset.  Replaced the outlet.  Then shortly after, the circuit breaker went bad.

Now GFCI outlet goes bad in garage. Seems likely the circuit breaker is bad too.  I thought that an odd coincidence.

The outlet that burned up was a builder special, but was not stabbed in, it had pigtails.

I think the GFCI is wired correctly as it tests and resets, I switched the wires and it wouldn't reset that way.

I am in Alabama today, but when i get back I'll open the other two outlets in then line and make sure they are ok, then try a new circuit breaker.

Thanks
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Years ago in one of my rentals a tenant called and told me an outlet in the kitchen was warm. I went over to look at it and he was right, the plastic front hot and slightly disfigure. When I went to replace it I had to cut back the  wires where the insulation was melted. I believe the plastic had began to break down to carbon and act as a resistor. In another rental a Square D breaker panel, the bus bar where you clip on the breaker corrosion developed. It ate away at the breaker and the bus bar. This caused the breaker to constantly trip.

As a side note GFCI's have a problem handling larger motors, when I built my shop the electrical inspector wanted GFCI breakers for all of my equipment. I told him I was going to mount disconnects for all the equipment instead. He didn't like it but code allowed it in our area.
Yes, I have always been concerned with the garage outlets, my unisaw is 220 so it runs on its own, and most of my other tools are smaller so not a big issue but I've always been concerned with the GFCI's out in the garage.
When I said you will run into problems with 2 or more gfcis on one circuit will become a useless pain and waste of money unless they were all wired from the same feed wire. 

Still do not follow this so I will bow out. You have burned outlets, breakers not tripping or are tripping, gfi working and then not working. May require an electrician to give a complete check. Lot cheaper than burning the house down. Did not like the burned outlet find. Good luck.
John T.
this seems a little scary, I don't really see why insulation would be melted.  I would be tempted to replace as much of the wire as possible
(08-09-2017, 09:12 PM)EricU Wrote: this seems a little scary, I don't really see why insulation would be melted.  I would be tempted to replace as much of the wire as possible

If there's a bad connection at the terminal and that receptacle carries a load, the connection will act as a resistor and get hot. Particularly something like a microwave, toaster, coffee maker. Something that draws a lot of amps.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

The outlet that burned up is in an awkward place, about the only thing ever plugged into it was a pencil sharpener.

And it was not in use at whatever point in time it burned up.