Changing a Chisel handle
I have a few Marples blue handle chisels, and I would like to replace the handle on my 1/2" chisel.  I am wondering how I get the original handle off?  It appears that the handle is pretty tight on there, and I haven't figured out a way to remove it without damaging the chisel.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott
Split the handle with a Dremel cutting wheel. The tang isn't tapered , rather a beefy square, so a nick or two isn't going to hurt. On a lot of the plastic handled chisels, I 'm thinking of old Marples and Sandviks, the blade design and the steel are good. But handles are not ergonomic and heavy, making them carpenters chisels, instead of cabinetmakers.
A man of foolish pursuits
Scott, this is a Stanley, but the Marples is the same ...

[Image: LowTechHeatTreating_html_7103a78d.jpg]

Just cut it off. A little heat will loosen the fit.

[Image: LowTechHeatTreating_html_2aa409b8.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thank you Derek and Downwindtracker2 for the tips.  I will remove the handle tonight.

Scott

When you replace them I have done it a few ways.

1.  Really pushed and packed aluminum foil into it to get the shape and then measure it a few thousands smaller so epoxy will go into it and stay there.

2. Tried curling paper into the hole and taping it do get the right angle and depth but did not work to well,

3. Used the molding stuff and sprayed it with releasing agent so when it is dry it comes out very nicely.

# 1 works OK #3 works great but cost money, however, you will have extra for another time.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.