Selling projects that are based on someone else's plans? Legal or illegal?
Using NYW as an example and just my guesswork....

Norm looks at a period piece and does a nice interview with the shop owner / museum. Good publicity. Sometimes Norm buys the original. They are paid.

Norm builds the project and sells us the plans. Norm gets paid.

We buy the plans, build the piece, and sell it. We get paid.

Unless the plan states otherwise, I think it is fine to build and sell from.
I have a couple of plans that I purchased and it is quite clear that the designer forbids the plan holder from selling. So be it.

Just my yeoman take.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Ag
There are some folks/business that sell plans fully acknowledging that folks that purchase their plans will be building, selling , and hopefully making some $ off of the plans. I know that the rocking chair plans I bought allow me to build and sell chairs made with those plans.
I agree with most here. If you were to buy plans, photocopy them, then sell the copies, that would be illegal. Building something off the plans should be fine to sell them. Analogy time - there are plans for my house, my house was built and sold. No royalties went back to the person who created the plans. If it was an architect, they get paid for the design work.
I inquired with NYW several years ago about selling stuff I make from the plans I bought from them. Long story short I received an email from Russ himself stating that they would have no quarrel with me for selling anything as long as I did not use their good name.

Just don't advertise them as NYW furniture on Craigslist and you're good.
With that said, don't mistake me as speaking on behalf of the NYW ;-)
Ray
(08-09-2017, 08:28 AM)AgGEM Wrote: Using NYW as an example and just my guesswork....

Norm looks at a period piece and does a nice interview with the shop owner / museum. Good publicity. Sometimes Norm buys the original. They are paid.

Norm builds the project and sells us the plans. Norm gets paid.

We buy the plans, build the piece, and sell it. We get paid.

Unless the plan states otherwise, I think it is fine to build and sell from.
I have a couple of plans that I purchased and it is quite clear that the designer forbids the plan holder from selling. So be it.

Just my yeoman take.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Ag

This is spot on...you guys are WAY over thinking things. As someone else said SOME plan (houses in particular) come with a license to build ONE. But a chair, if it did then you are buying your plans at the wrong place. You paid for the plan, now use it how you see fit including selling the end result.
Dogwood, that helps A LOT, thanks! I guess I just won't advertise them with "New Yankee Workshop" in the description. I did try calling them but they haven't gotten back to me. You answered my question, though, so that's definitely something!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
As a woodworking author, this is an issue I keep up with. 
The honest answer is that the law is VERY sketchy on this issue. 
Largely it falls to the author or publisher to decide. 

I personally have no issue with folks buying my plans (or using free plans from my site) and building them for sale, and most authors I know feel the same. In fact, not too long after I published my article on making a Hoosier Step Saver, it appeared in a catalog for sale, built exactly the same way my design was. Of course, my design was based on an existing product from the 1930s. 

In your case, I see ZERO issue since the pieces were made for your personal use and will be sold as used. If you wanted to produce an item specifically to sell as new to the public, take the high road and simply ask permission. You will find that most authors will happily wish you well.

I can't tell you where, but I seem to remember this issue being discussed in one of the magazines at one point.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I would like to see pictures and price of the tables in question.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
(08-11-2017, 09:08 PM)Richard D. Wrote: I would like to see pictures and price of the tables in question.

It would be a bit before they're ready to sell. I'm going to briefly sand and then refinish the tops and also install new drawer runners that are adjustable (since expansion and contraction have proved a problem for me at times).

Also, what state are you in? I guess shipping is always an option, but if you wanted to pick them up in person I hope you're somewhere near the Central Valley in California. Anyway, I'll attach some pics to this post. These were taken in 2013 right after I finished them. Again, I want to fix the finish and polish it back up. Also, the burl that you see on one of the sides in one of the pics is only present on one of the tables. The other one doesn't have that. As for pricing, that's negotiable. However, I doubt I'd ask more than a couple hundred for each since they're used (plus some slight mistakes on the drawer sides). Don't know if that's too low, but that's just where I stand right now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser