35mm of 1-3/8" Forstner Bit?
For those that have installed European style hinges, which size forstner bit have you used?  I'll be installing Blum compact hinges with the cup measuring 35mm by the spec sheet.  I've looked around and some places are selling the 35mm forstner bits marked as 1-3/8" also ... slightly smaller than the metric spec.  For those that have installed, are the tolerances that good on the hinges where the difference of ~0.002" between metric and standard makes a difference? 

I have a 1-3/8" at home already and would hate to buy an unnecessary toll if I don't need it.  Thanks in advance.
1 3/8" is fine
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Available at Lee Valley.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I used 1-3/8" and couldn't find that it was a problem. 1 3/8" is 34.925 mm, or something like that.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My experiences agree that the 1-3/8" wood-boring bit works fine.  The purpose-made carbide tipped bits work better for the long term if you're drilling in melamine coated particleboard.  The brad point on some bits may be a little long if the door thickness is thin.
The hinges specified 35mm and I found that on Amazon.com for very little money, so I ordered that.

https://www.amazon.com/Rok-Hardware-Bori...rstner+bit
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-09-2017, 07:53 AM)Cooler Wrote: The hinges specified 35mm and I found that on Amazon.com for very little money, so I ordered that.

https://www.amazon.com/Rok-Hardware-Bori...rstner+bit

Can't beat that price with a stick.

Paid more than that from a commercial hardware supplier decades ago.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Probably ok for the money but the main picture in the ad certainly doesn't inspire confidence in the quality of the product.
(08-09-2017, 06:06 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Probably ok for the money but the main picture in the ad certainly doesn't inspire confidence in the quality of the product.

The vendor has the initials "ROK", which I assume means "Republic of Korea".  I bought a couple of different size bits over the past two years and my experience has been good.  It took about 3 weeks to arrive so it may have been shipped directly from an offshore warehouse.  

I bought some spade bits from Sam's Club for a very low price.  When I eventually got to use one the shaft was not true and it wobbled so bad that it was unusable.  About half of the bits were garbage in the same manner.  

So cheap bits are fraught with risks.  Amazon is really good about taking back products if unsatisfactory so I took the risk and my experience has been good.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for all the input ... instead of playing around, I just bit the bullet and ordered a 35mm carbide tipped bit through Amazon.  Just out of curiosity, I did pull out the digital calipers and my 1-3/8" bit and measured ... 34.85mm.  I was just worried the Blum hinges would be made to an exact spec and the 1-3/8 it wouldn't work.