Best source for Quarter Sawn WO Plywood
I am looking for nice flake QSWO plywood.  I live in Sycamore, IL.  I believe the Harwood Connection has some out here but they sometimes are higher priced then online retailers.  Anyone have a great source for Quality QSWO plywood with nice grain?

Thanks,

GS
(08-10-2017, 11:41 AM)ChicagoGlen Wrote: I am looking for nice flake QSWO plywood.  I live in Sycamore, IL.  I believe the Harwood Connection has some out here but they sometimes are higher priced then online retailers.  Anyone have a great source for Quality QSWO plywood with nice grain?

Thanks,

GS

WOW!  Good taste you have.

Unfortunately can't help you with a current source.

A couple/few decades ago I used to have to order the log run veneers and then make my own plywood. 

Lots of work of course but the results were usually enchantingly dramatic in cabinetry -- especially with a following light water based aniline dye before finishing to emphasize the flash of the medullary rays. 

Best regards,
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Ditto for curly maple.

Had an architect client from Mexico City who always ordered this for the things I built for him at his local residence on Jupiter Island.

Unfortunately my photo portfolio is all analog so not able to share here.

Please feel to contact me to stop by, have a drink, relax and chat. We can share and trade stories.

CHEERS!

Wink
I buy the Columbia Forest Products stuff from my supplier in eastern Indiana. It's top notch stuff, and if you call them (CFP) they may be able to direct you to a supplier near you (if no one else comes up with a source).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you can't find a source for the ply, you might try veneering some good ply with QSWO veneer yourself.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Go to Menards, special orders desk, be specific, and ask about right of refusal if it doesn't meet your criteria. I have very good luck with them down here in SW Ohio. Expect somewhere over 100 bux a sheet. Essentially they will be playing middle Man for what Fred suggested, but I find buying one or two sheets Menards price is lower, so they must be able to buy from Columbia at realllllllly low pricing. Now if you go to Columbia with a large order, the world is your Oyster....
Big Grin

QSWO Ply is a mouthful in the availability department at most lumber yards, WO all day long, but QS is a different story. The good news is it's almost always choice being cut from veneer grade stock, but that and being kinda rare makes for an expensive animal.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(08-10-2017, 02:58 PM)AHill Wrote: If you can't find a source for the ply, you might try veneering some good ply with QSWO veneer yourself.

Depending on the availability of good quality QSWO lumber, and having a good resaw it will probably always be the cheaper way to go.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I never had any luck making my own veneer -- even when I had a special set of back beveled blades ground for my four-bladed thickness planer. Anything thinner than 1/16 of an inch too often resulted in the veneer sheet being destroyed, and my thickness sander was manual feed so that didn't work out so far as consistent thickness goes.

Wink
(08-10-2017, 03:38 PM)Steve N Wrote: Depending on the availability of good quality QSWO lumber, and having a good resaw it will probably always be the cheaper way to go.

I was thinking of purchased sheet veneer, not shop made.  I did look up prices of a 4' x 8' sheet of QSWO veneer, and it's not cheap - more like $90-100 a sheet.  I think he's better off special ordering ply where the veneer is already applied.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I can price it out and get it for you if needed, I have a commercial account at wholesalers and a shop in the SW suburbs. I bought some 4x8x1/2" A1 mdf core for about $80/sheet a few months back.
PM me if interested