Carpet tape types?
I've been using one from Ace Hdwe last couple of years labeled Fiberglass, Heavy Duty. It is very strong and peels off OK from the wood. But cutting pieces from the roll is a PITA. With good sharp scissors, after a couple of cuts, the adhesive gums up the scissors so no further cuts are possible. It takes a solvent scrub to proceed.

A year or so ago I saw a Paul Sellers video (can't find it now) where he simple tore a strip from the roll, hand pressed two project pieces together and moved on.

I'd sure like to try some of that type. Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks,

Jerry
I've been using Lee Valley turners tape for years,never an issue with it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Like Mel said

Either Lee Valley or Packard which I have not gotten for a few years in both 1" and 2"

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant...-doufactap
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-10-2017, 01:14 PM)budglo Wrote: I've been using one from Ace Hdwe last couple of years labeled Fiberglass, Heavy Duty. It is very strong and peels off OK from the wood. But cutting pieces from the roll is a PITA. With good sharp scissors, after a couple of cuts, the adhesive gums up the scissors so no further cuts are possible. It takes a solvent scrub to proceed.

A year or so ago I saw a Paul Sellers video (can't find it now) where he simple tore a strip from the roll, hand pressed two project pieces together and moved on.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry

Maybe it's the words you've used, but your title says carpet tape, and the fiberglass goo you describe sounds like carpet tape. But your mention of Sellers using a few piece he simply peels apart sound like "double sided tape" which is a lighter weight product, which probably wouldn't work well on carpeting.

Listed below are a few choices for easy to use double sided tape, but HD, Lowes, and many paint stores will carry something, even HF if I'm not mistaken, but their quality may be suspect.

Gorilla tape

X Fasten is awesome, a little costly  I believe it is from Fastenal.

If it's not Fastenal, they carry a really good line of products Just type in "double sided tape" in the search box. Again it's what some will call expensive, but it's no muss, works every time, same as the last time. So it just depends if you want to fight it, or use it
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for the responses guys. I have used "double sided tape" for years, but all the rolls I've bought have been carpet tape and the issue of gumming up the scissor blades occurred with them all.

Steve, I'm sure you are correct. I should not have asked for carpet tape.

Jerry
Get my double sided tape from Hartville Tool. Good price.

(08-10-2017, 01:14 PM)budglo Wrote: A year or so ago I saw a Paul Sellers video (can't find it now) where he simply tore a strip from the roll, hand pressed two project pieces together and moved on.

Amazing 4 Use double-sided tape is advertised as "easy tear".  I emailed the seller and he/she replied that pieces can be torn from the roll and scissors do not have to be used.  If you try it let us know how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Durable-Superior-...arpet+tape

A review from a woodworker....

"This stuff is extremely sticky. It's a little hard to work with, but I think it's mostly technique, and I'm learning to use it better. I used it for woodworking to keep wood in place while routing, and it was sometimes very hard to remove the wood from the material, and sometimes left parts of wood stuck to the surface when the surface was smooth. I think it may be too strong for woodworking, unless you want something almost permanent, but less so than glue. I've had it pull out small chunks from melamine and plywood.

If you really press it down, it can hold so well that it's very hard to separate. I used a smallish screwdriver one time, and was worried the screwdriver would bend or break."
One of the tricks used in the world of CNC routing is to apply regular masking tape to both pieces (so they will line-up when the pieces are pressed together), then add a few drops of super glue on one side of the tape.  If you apply a little bit of baking soda powder with your finger to the other piece of masking tape, they will bond nearly instantly when you tough the template to the workpiece.  (Baking soda in powder form is a decent activator for super glue).

Not quite as quick as a single piece of double-sided tape, holds well, just thought I'd share.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
I get my double sided tape from Highland Woodworking and it works well for me. I tried carpet tape years ago and didn't like it. It added to much bulk.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green