Chest of drawers drawer and side panels...how thick?
So, after putting a planned chest of drawers build on hiatus for a couple years, I plan to finally get it started. It'll be mainly Jatoba but with frame and panel drawer fronts and sides featuring some Pommele (sp?) Maple veneer. I'm gonna use Baltic Birch for the substrate. My question is, how thick should the panels be? I need to get a 1/4" sheet (only part of which will be used) for the back panel, but something tells me that might be too thin for pulling the drawers out. Should I go 1/2" for the drawer panels instead? I really would love to get everything I need out of one 5'x5' sheet, and I have some leftover 1/4" BB from a past project that I can use for the side panels. Would 1/4" thick panels be thick enough to handle the drawers being pulled out? The drawer sizes are about 28 and 3/8" by 7 and 5/8" total with 1 and 11/16" wide frame members and 26" by 5 and 1/4" panels (including the parts hidden in grooves in the frame members). Will 1/4" BB be thick enough, or should I go 1/2"? 

I still won't be even getting the materials until probably October, but I'm trying to plan out the cost right now, so I need to know what I'm going with in terms of the plywood.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
You want to make drawer sides with 1/4 material?
What's gunna hold the bottom of the drawer?
Ray
Unless I'm making one to hold hammers and anvils I use 5/8" material for side/back. 1/4" for bottoms, and usually 3/4 for DT fronts, 5/8" with 1/2" for false fronts.

As the size of the drawer itself increases I may increase the material size, but usually I try to plan for "What is going to be in this drawer?" On well mounted guides weight more than size will determine the beating the drawer box will take.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Oh, by "sides" I meant the panels on the sides of the case. I'm using solid poplar (3/4") for the drawer sides and back. I did forget one thing, though...I'll also need some 1/4" ply for the drawer bottoms...can't believe I forgot about those, lol. 

The drawers will be for clothes. Would 1/2" work for that? I have had good experience with Rockler's BB ply, and since they have smaller pieces, I'll probably just get a couple from them if I need to go 1/2". I would just rather pick up the big sheets at a yard in person because shipping those big sheets can cost quite a bit.

What about the panels on the sides of the case, though? Would 1/4" work there since it's not going to bear any weight?
Near future projects:

You could do 1/4" thick panels inside a 3/4" thick solid wood framing for a shaker look. Personally I would want it thicker. You will find other uses for.the left over 1/4 cut-offs.
I would have the draws supported by and running on and against 3/4 solid wood framing.
Ray
On a frame and panel "Shaker look" I would use 3/4" stock for frame, and 1/2" for the panels. I think 1/4" would show itself. For solid sides I'd usually go 3/4", unless it was a smallish piece, then I may use thinner as appropriate.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The sides are actually made of 2 different thicknesses of rail members, as the chest will have 4 legs that are 1 and 1/2" by 2". I think I'll go with thicker panels than 1/4" on the sides as well.
Near future projects:

Sounds like you've already settled on your construction. Nevertheless, here's an idea that might fit with your plan. I've built several pieces using 5/8" solid hardwood slats, splined together and let into the stiles (legs) for sides. Here's a photo of the sides of a double chest of drawers I finished last Fall for my kids.

[Image: IMG_1208.jpg]

Each slat is beaded and splined to it's adjoining slat. The beading hides any gaps that may appear with seasonal expansion and shrinkage of the slats. The splines keep everything flat.

[Image: DSCN0522_Small.jpg]

The splined panels are let into the legs (1 1/2 X 1 1/2 posts). The top, bottom and middle slats are mortised and tenoned into the posts and pinned. The other slats float with short tenons in shallow grooves. It makes for an attractive, solid construction.

[Image: IMG_1607.jpg]
I would go with 1/2" panels on the sides and drawers go with 1/2".

Personal preference I don't like 1/4" bottoms in dresser drawers. Its no more work or expense to do 1/2".

You don't need expensive BB for drawer bottoms. A good grade of ply like Sandeply or the chinese birch at HD will suffice.