Where do you buy triangle files?
I second what Admiral recommends above.  I also have had some good results with the Nicholson files in the green and black blister packs.  They seem to come only in 6" R, S, and XS, and I see them mostly at Ace Hardware for $6-7.  Beware you may get a bad one here and there.  They are made in Mexico.
+ 1 on Boggs, he seems to be a great guy!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(08-13-2017, 06:31 AM)Dayle1960 Wrote: I'm needing to sharpen some Disston hand saws and am looking for a supplier on taper, slim taper, xslim taper, and xxslim taper triangle files.  Where do you fellows purchase them?  I've seen a few on ebay yet when I watch the final price get bid up to a ridiculous amount it makes me want to shake my head.  Amazon seems high for a single file.  My local saw shops don't carry them.  So I'm now down to the mercy of the interwebs and members on WWF to guide me to a place which sells files by the dozen for a decent price.

$3 or $4 seems about my price point but I'm sure some on here will say I need to go a bit higher if I want to get a quality file.

What say ya'll?

I'd say you are dreaming if you expect a decent saw file at $3-4!
Smile

I spend more time filing dovetail saws and tenon saws, so my experience lies with the higher tooth count. 

Especially for teeth 14 tpi and above, good files are hard to come by and dear. I have heard very good reports about Bahco, but I have no idea where they may be purchased. It seems that the only link takes one to a UK site, and they do not sell directly.

My preference is a needle file. They have sharper arrises, which cut a deeper gullet. The deeper gullet is needed to carry away sawdust (otherwise the plate can stall). 

Two weekends ago was the West Australian Wood Show. I went there for the furniture competition (I entered my recent build, the sofa table with hidden drawer - which came first!), and spent the time, as usual, with Chris Vesper on his stand. Usually we get up to some competition, but this year Chris brought along a few boxes of NOS (1998) 5" extra slim Nicholson needle files. Oh my word ... they are (were - I bought a box) superb! I spent the weekend filing demonstrating filing saws - it really drew in the crowds. Go through a few saws. What really stood out about the old files was how super slim the arrises were, and that the steel was tough - I could complete three full saws (complete retoothing on an average of 15-16 tpi) with a single file. 

I have a bunch of Grobet 4" extra slim files in the shop, but they really are not in the same class. Still, they are as good as we have at this time. I'd like to look at the Bahcos.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Corradi carries the iridium files, and I've been happy with those. Bob Page bought some, he'll certainly be a better reviewer.

www.corradishop.com
www.ebay.com/us/corradishop
Freelance Animator & Motion Artist, JQuack Design
Quackenbush Woodworks
(08-14-2017, 05:43 AM)JQuacker Wrote: Corradi carries the iridium files, and I've been happy with those. Bob Page bought some, he'll certainly be a better reviewer.

www.corradishop.com
www.ebay.com/us/corradishop
  • Price: 19,00 €          
    Eek

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(08-14-2017, 07:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Regards from Perth

Ouch, yeah. Aussie land is a tough one on most tools, it seems.
(08-13-2017, 06:31 AM)Dayle1960 Wrote: I'm needing to sharpen some Disston hand saws and am looking for a supplier on taper, slim taper, xslim taper, and xxslim taper triangle files.  Where do you fellows purchase them?  I've seen a few on ebay yet when I watch the final price get bid up to a ridiculous amount it makes me want to shake my head.  Amazon seems high for a single file.  My local saw shops don't carry them.  So I'm now down to the mercy of the interwebs and members on WWF to guide me to a place which sells files by the dozen for a decent price.

$3 or $4 seems about my price point but I'm sure some on here will say I need to go a bit higher if I want to get a quality file.

What say ya'll?

Lee Valley.  But expect to pay more just about everywhere.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-13-2017, 10:34 AM)Aram Wrote: Boggs Tool & File.

I've sent files in for sharpening, and ordered files from them. This generally involves a quick phone call and a description of what you want to accomplish. A few days later, you will get the sharpest file you have ever used. At least, that's been my experience. It will cost above your stated price point, but not by a lot. I think maybe 8 bucks? It's been a while. 

Boggs

Nice folks to deal with as well.

Does their process re-shape the corners?  Saw files need 6 cutting edges, not three.
(08-14-2017, 07:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote:
  • Price: 19,00 €          
    Eek

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm seeing 3 to 6 Euro per file, without shipping of course.

I ordered directly from Corradi just a few weeks ago.  10" cabinet rasp and several sizes of saw files, two each.  With shipping just under $100 to my door.  Just the shipping was about $20.  I could probably have doubled the number of saw files and still had about the same size package & shipping.

At 19 Euro, I think you are getting hosed!
Sad
No is does not reshape the corners of the files, heard from the best source, the Professor of saw knowledge.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.