If I ever get a new Table Saw it will be like the ones
(08-18-2017, 07:01 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: What do you mean by square? Parallel to the table? 

I never look at parallel. A little out-of-parallel is unimportant. What is relevant is that the face of the fence is vertical. Do you mean vertical?

Regards from Perth

Derek

That is what I meant to say, also did you have any trouble getting your tables coplanar? The outfeed side on mine is about 1/16th to an 1/8th higher and the manual is almost non existent on anything in this regard.
I've had a Robland Z3200 since 1993. I love it.
I was trained in vocational school to work on big sliders and I have used a few of them elsewhere from time to time.
Myself I have a combination machine which essentially works like a cabinet saw with attached sliding table. Comparing the two concepts it becomes very clear to me that a full size slider is way way WAY superrior.
As soon as I can afford a full size slider secondhand I will buy one.
Many smaller sliders like Hammer for instance have a reputation for being too cheaply made to really bring out the adwantages of a slider. I am the sort of person who prefere to have a few good machines instead of many mediocre machines so I hold back my purchase waiting for the right one.
I think many Americans who disregard sliders do it because they have only used the cheapest models.

Most well equipped full time professional workshops around here have two table saws.
A very big Altendorf or Panhans or SCM or Martin slider and a dedicated rip saw of one sort or another. Each one excelling doing it's job.
A cabinet saw is a cheap way for a part timer to get going or a third saw for a larger workshop or a hobby machine. Never ever the main saw in a full time professional workshop.

Dado heads are almost unknown to us. There is little use for a dado head when you have a full size spindle moulder with proper tooling and a hand held router.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(08-22-2017, 01:49 AM)TGW Wrote: I was trained in vocational school to work on big sliders and I have used a few of them elsewhere from time to time.
Myself I have a combination machine which essentially works like a cabinet saw with attached sliding table. Comparing the two concepts it becomes very clear to me that a full size slider is way way WAY superrior.
As soon as I can afford a full size slider secondhand I will buy one.
Many smaller sliders like Hammer for instance have a reputation for being too cheaply made to really bring out the adwantages of a slider. I am the sort of person who prefere to have a few good machines instead of many mediocre machines so I hold back my purchase waiting for the right one.
I think many Americans who disregard sliders do it because they have only used the cheapest models.

Most well equipped full time professional workshops around here  have two table saws.
A very big Altendorf or Panhans or SCM or Martin slider and a dedicated rip saw of one sort or another. Each one excelling doing it's job.
A cabinet saw is  a cheap way for a part timer to get going or a third saw for a larger workshop or a hobby machine. Never ever the main saw in a full time professional workshop.

Dado heads are almost unknown to us. There is little use for a dado head when you have a full size spindle moulder with proper tooling and a hand held router.

Two questions

1.  Where do you live?
2. How do they get a spindle molder to cut a dado in the middle of a plywood sheet that is say 2' from the bottom or 3'  in the middle of a sheet for a book case or something like that?

Thanks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-22-2017, 11:41 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Two questions

1.  Where do you live?
2. How do they get a spindle molder to cut a dado in the middle of a plywood sheet that is say 2' from the bottom or 3'  in the middle of a sheet for a book case or something like that?

Thanks

1. Halfways up  the west coast of Finland.

2. We don't. A well equipped workshop use a dovetail router for that particular job and the rest of us use a hand held router.
In fact the oldtimers did cut exactly that sort of dadoes on the spindle moulder. They fitted a colled chuck and a router bit to the spindle and a home made sled to the table. Nowadays that practice it considered inefficient so I have never done it myself.

By the way this is a Swedish style dovetail router. Used for dadoes and for making dovetailed joints and for recessing certain types of hardware. Waco and Jonsered and Stenberg are the top brands.
https://www.bjorklundsmaskiner.com/sinkm...osigma.htm
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(08-22-2017, 01:14 PM)TGW Wrote: 1. Halfways up  the west coast of Finland.

2. We don't. A well equipped workshop use a dovetail router for that particular job and the rest of us use a hand held router.
In fact the old timers did cut exactly that sort of dadoes on the spindle molder. They fitted a colled chuck and a router bit to the spindle and a home made sled to the table. Nowadays that practice it considered inefficient so I have never done it myself.

By the way this is a Swedish style dovetail router. Used for dadoes and for making dovetailed joints and for recessing certain types of hardware. Waco and Jonsered and Stenberg are the top brands.
https://www.bjorklundsmaskiner.com/sinkm...osigma.htm

I always wanted to go to Finland.  I was in Norway for 6 months with the military and it was just beautiful and would love to see all of the countrys around the areas.

Thank you for the link.  I never seen anything like that.  How does it work and what does it all do?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(08-24-2017, 12:29 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thank you for the link.  I never seen anything like that.  How does it work and what does it all do?

Essentially it is a big router with handwheels manouvering it along the x and the Y axis.
When feeding it crosswise there is a guide roller following either a straight bar for dadoing or a toothed bar for dovetailing.
Since the economy was booming back then, my designer clients kept goading me to get a bigger shop with more help.

I finally bit the bullet and rented 4000sf. Had my electrician put in a 3-phase panel and wire accordingly.

Had already ordered an 80 gallon air compressor, dust collector, and mainly a Panhans 10-foot slider.

That saw was the best investment ($10,000+ back then) I made for what I was mainly going to build -- high end mostly plywood custom cabinetry.

In efficiency it paid for itself probably ten times over compared to lesser and smaller options.

Of course used it to do more than just size plywood to dead square and with an accuracy of 1/8mm in a 1 meter run.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Occasionally one of the local mica shops would pay me to accurately cut one of their post-formed counter tops at a 45 degree angle. Cake on this saw since I had bought a 16" blade for it.

First thing was to go below to change the speed to the slowest. Then put on the blade.

They of course usually stood by watching. Soon as I hit the ON switch with that blade sticking all the way up, and with that great sound, they would automatically move back a couple steps.

:-)
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(08-28-2017, 09:53 AM)FloridaRetiree Wrote: Occasionally one of the local mica shops would pay me to accurately cut one of their post-formed counter tops at a 45 degree angle.  Cake on this saw since I had bought a 16" blade for it.  

First thing was to go below to change the speed to the slowest.  Then put on the blade.

They of course usually stood by watching.  Soon as I hit the ON switch with that blade sticking all the way up, and with that great sound, they would automatically move back a couple steps.

:-)

Goodness  It must be nice to have that kind of money.
Yes   What you spent on the say is now 5 months of pay for me from the VA.