Pressure treated post caps
Man, those little dudes are expensive for what they are!

It got me to thinking if I could make new, better ones for less.

Home pressure treating doesn't seem to be an option, I can't get the pressure cooker hot enough.

I could mill them out of PT boards but that would be tough on the tooling

Is there a viable preservation process I could use?
Fire

I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Use a naturally rot resistant wood? Cedar, cypress. Others based on what is available locally

I might be wrong, but I don't think you are going to make them a lot cheaper than you can buy them for Some of the lighted ones are more, but you are getting a cap, and a light.....
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I am assuming your application is a fence, and capping the end grain of the posts? Correct?

I am a fan of horizontal fences, with a full top rail. Not many people build them like that (cause they cost twice as much) but last three times as long.....no exposed end grain for water to sit on and penetrate.  

Just built one, and the neighbors were amazed by it. 

But if I had to build a vertical board fence, id just buy the copper ones and be done with it. I wouldn't fool with making them. My time is more valuable that the tiny bit of money I would save. Also, problem with wood caps (at least here in MN) where there is the freeze thaw cycle every year...water works its way in, and will eventually destroy them. Built one like that 12 years ago at my old house.....took about 4-5 years for them to crack and start to break apart.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Fine Homebuilding issue 56, "A Decorative Post Cap" shown one style that I used to make in my basement shop.
You might check out Amazon, they have some copper post caps for about $5 each as well as these; ASA Resin, paintable, for about $50 for a case of 12.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KHX...i=13398151

(I wish I knew how to substitute a word for these lengthy links)
Ed
If you just want to cap the posts, then get a piece of 2" x 6" PT lumber.  

On your table saw stand it up on edge and rip about a 15 degree angle on two sides so in profile it looks like a low ridge roof.  

Cut the piece to short lengths exactly the same length as the width of the board.  

Take a second 2 x 6 and using a counter sunk screw attach all the pieces so that the peaks are horizontal to the long board.  Screw through a drilled hole in the long board into the post caps.  Tighten the screw enough so that the pieces do not turn on the screw.  Butt each cap to the next one.  That will prevent swiveling.    Take that board to the saw and cut the same 15 degree angle on both ends so that each piece resembles a shallow pyramid.  Remove the single screw from each piece and mount on the fence posts.

You will get just over 16 out of an 8' board of 2" x 6" pressure treated lumber.  That size board costs $6.00 + tax at my local Lowes.  So each cap will cost you just under 40¢.  You can re-use the screws to mount the caps on the posts.

The aluminum caps that they sell cost about $2.50 each.  

If you have a lot of these to make you can become very efficient.  Indeed, I would make some extra at the same time as long as you have the setup.

It is just four rips on the table saw to produce 16 caps.  But you do have to cut them to length and make a board to use to guide the cut pieces through the saw.  I would use a rip blade for this.

P.S.:  I looked on line for pictures and all the methods shown are far less efficient than what I described.  If it is not clear let me know and I will make some sketches (hand drawn) and post them.

Regards,

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Another alternative.  I just ran across this boat builder on YouTube.  He uses a "Penetrating" epoxy.  I am not sure it would look right if the caps only were finished with epoxy, but it may work.  I am also not sure how many years one would get between treatments.  In the case of a cap, you could dip them, and let them soak for a few minutes.  

I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I usually cut the tops at a 20-30 degree angle and seal them with a flat aluminum plate.

I made a few out of license plates. The guy had a 4 foot tall wood fence following the driveway out in the sticks and wanted reflective tops.
 This isn't the style/color you're looking for (Personally, I think they were ugly) but you can made nicer ones from aluminum yourself.

[Image: plate_post.jpg][/img]