Freud FT 1700 router problem
Any ideas on how to fix a speed control problem with a Freud FT 1700 router? When running, it sometimes drops rpm quite a bit. I blew out the router, but no help.
I'm open to  bypassing the speed control if possible, as I have a speed control box, in my pile of goodies.
I have a few other routers I can put in the table, but the above table changes and adjustments, has me spoiled.
No idea how to troubleshoot. This isn't what your specially after, but the speed control module is part # 76348.8109 on my parts drawing. Freud parts are available through Bosch, apparently that was part of the agreement when Bosch bought the bits/blades business. The number is 630-705-7810. I've used to get a few other things for mine.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
speed controls usually have a capacitor in the speed regulation circuit.  Capacitors have a sell-by date nowadays, unfortunately.  Ok, they always did, but it has gotten a lot shorter.  Usually, the speed regulation circuit is potted so it can't be repaired.
Mr. Pirate, I have a freud ft2000e (i think those numbers are correct) and lost the speed control in it many years ago. I now use it successfully with the plug in style  router speed control  like MLCS  sells ,and probably many others, and it works fine with that.
I believe I have had two of these routers and they both had the speed control fail.
Good luck
Gordon
Thanks for the replies. I will be taking it apart and bypassing the control.
(08-17-2017, 06:37 AM)Pirate3 Wrote: Thanks for the replies. I will be taking it apart and bypassing the control.

I have a P-C 8529 that lost its speed control. It was pretty simple to remove the speed control module and wire the power straight through. I haven't used that router much since I performed the "surgery" but I know it runs and has acceptable power.
(08-16-2017, 08:16 PM)gordon 131 Wrote: I now use it successfully with the plug in style  router speed control  like MLCS  sells ,and probably many others, and it works fine with that.

Gordon, are you talking about a speed controller like shown at the top of this page?

I have a speed controlled "other" router that gave up the speed a while back. I think I also have one of those turn the knob gizmo's. Just never thought to try it on anything except a single speed router. What do they say, wake up every morning, and you are bound to learn something new.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
until they build a router with a brushless motor, which might happen, that kind of speed control will work with just about any handheld router. 

There are definitely brushless spindles that are a lot like routers, but I just don't know of any handheld routers that are brushless.
on edit: a brushless router speed control wouldn't have to estimate speed, the control is driving the motor at a speed, and it isn't going to vary. This might well eliminate the problematic parts in a brushed/universal router speed control.
(08-20-2017, 01:21 PM)Steve N Wrote: Gordon, are you talking about a speed controller like shown at the top of this page?

I have a speed controlled "other" router that gave up the speed a while back. I think I also have one of those turn the knob gizmo's. Just never thought to try it on anything except a single speed router. What do they say, wake up every morning, and you are bound to learn something new.  
Big Grin

yes Steve, i believe I have the same red one that is in that picture. Works great.
Sorry for the delay post have been gone for a while.
Gordon