Best way to cut this?
Hello,

I want to cut a recessed handhold into a board and need to repeat the cut many times.
These handholds are used on beehive boxes and are on each side, so there are 4 per box, and I want to make a couple hundred such boxes. So I would like to make the cut in a single step.

I attached a drawing of what I am trying to cut.

Thanks
Moe

Attached Files Image(s)

There are router jigs that will let you cut this general type of thing, but do you really want the pointy corners? I think you'll be in there with chisels and gouges.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Aram's point is good. If you make the pointy corner rounded ones, a template and a router would be the easiest approach. I'd probably still rough cut most of the waste out with a jigsaw, then use the router and template to smooth things up.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Guys, it does not look like the handle goes all the way through so jig sawing to rough is not an option. If he could live with a flat bottom than a jig and plunge router would be my bet. Use a bowl bit and get a radius on the bottom also.
I did my boxes with a dado blade on the table saw. Set up stop blocks for positive registration and slowly lower the piece of wood into the blade and then pick it back up. In order to get the graduation you angle the dado blade. I just made slots. Fast easy and mostly safe. If you want to be uber safe turn the saw off before you pick up the piece.
My FIL would make that cut with a jig on a table saw the same way he did when he worked for Roots bee keeping. He had a sled that was angled from the side
[Image: 1.jpg]

I think you would get a serviceable version using a stacked dado blade and raising it into the surface.  But it would not give the same "scoop".  I suppose you could make a "ramp" to pull it over to end up with something similar.  

I think I would just get two sets of matching dado sets and cut a 1-1/2" half moon groove.  Use a 6" set it will have an easier time cutting that width of material.  Raise the blade slowly and figure out how many times to crank the blade height adjustment wheel.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Does it have be 5.5"? MLCS has 4" Forstner bit that you might be able to use.  Make a jig (fixture) and set the board at an angle on your drill press. Clamp the board and pull the drill down to make your handhold. Quick and easy if this size works.
This guy's construction seems quite robust and eliminates that issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZqtdjntd2s
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-16-2017, 10:47 AM)castguy2003 Wrote: Guys, it does not look like the handle goes all the way through so jig sawing to rough is not an option. If he could live with a flat bottom than a jig and plunge router would be my bet. Use a bowl bit and get a radius on the bottom also.

You're right; so my jigsaw idea is, well, not helpful. But I still think I would go with a router and try to do it. Someone suggested a bowl bit and plunge router....that might be a good bet.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.