Pool Pump Issue
Noticed the pool is not running and checked the timer which is on and the breakers are all set.  It's raining and noticed some steam coming off the motor so I felt it and it's warm.  Made me think maybe the start cap is bad?  But then my pool heater will not turn on either?  Thought maybe that needed to sense water flow to turn on?  Don't know, any advice?
If the pump motor has an internal overload device, it may have tripped. Of course, it would be pretty odd for a centrifugal pump to trip out an overload device, but the device may by fatigue, or the windings are partially shorted and it's drawing too much current, or any of many things.

You need to check the voltage at the motor leads. Or at the timer 'load' terminals, if that's easier. First things first.

A bad start cap certainly could cause the motor to fail to start, though, and that would trip the breaker or the O/L device, if it has one. And if it has one, it may be auto-reset type, since there's no dangerous machinery attached that could mangle you if it starts unexpectly.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
If steam is coming off motor it may still be getting power.   Could be a start cap or the pump is locked up or the seal went bad and the motor has water in it.   Is it on a gfci circuit ?    Roly
It stopped raining for I checked voltage coming out of the timer and it's good.  Took the motor cap cover off and the top was blown off so I'm going to order a new one and hopefully that will get me back running.
A blown start cap may prevent it from starting, but what happens after that is the issue. If it has internal auto-reset O/L, it will keep trying to start when it cools down enough. If it's manual reset, there's a red button to push to re-enable it. If none of the above, and the breaker isn't blown, and it's not just humming, the windings are likely burned out.

I would pull that motor before buying any parts, and start with seeing if the rotor is even free. If it's seized up, it won't start and may blow the start cap, burn out the windings, pop the breaker, or all of the above.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks, I'll try to pull it tomorrow.  I did hear a click, thought maybe it was a thermal breaker.
(08-16-2017, 03:21 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: Thanks, I'll try to pull it tomorrow.  I did hear a click, thought maybe it was a thermal breaker.

Sounds like a strong possibility. 

You can check the motor's nameplate.  There may be an indication of O/L protection being automatic or manual, or just 'thermally protected'.  If it's there.
Tom

This exact scenario happens to me if suction is reduced for some reason - not enough water coming in, loses prime, pump heats up and the heater (which requires flow) turns off
Any update on the pump/motor issue?
Tom