Did We Miss This? Veritas Combination Plane
Admiral, it says several places that the 45 cutters will fit.  I heard straight from the horse's mouth in Amana.  I have bought a few here and there and prepared them.  The 45 cutters are about 1/2" longer overall but the notch is the same as well as the thickness.  I'm basing this on the small plow cutters that I have.  The 45 cutters are  too long for the small plow because the depth adjuster does not have the extra 1/2" threaded portion,  but we are talking Large Plow here.  I'm not worried.

I do have a question for you mavens out there:  when honing a profiled cutter, do you have to hone the bevel or can you just lap the back?
(08-22-2017, 02:57 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I do have a question for you mavens out there:  when honing a profiled cutter, do you have to hone the bevel or can you just lap the back?

Both.  Matt Bickford recommends it.  He uses sandpaper wrapped around a dowel for the bevel of hollows blades.  Very similar approach with carving tools.  Make sure a curved bevel is sharpened evenly, or you risk altering the profile.  If you strop often, you'll need to sharpen less often, and that's a good thing.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-22-2017, 02:57 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Admiral, it says several places that the 45 cutters will fit.  I heard straight from the horse's mouth in Amana.  I have bought a few here and there and prepared them.  The 45 cutters are about 1/2" longer overall but the notch is the same as well as the thickness.  I'm basing this on the small plow cutters that I have.  The 45 cutters are  too long for the small plow because the depth adjuster does not have the extra 1/2" threaded portion,  but we are talking Large Plow here.  I'm not worried.

I do have a question for you mavens out there:  when honing a profiled cutter, do you have to hone the bevel or can you just lap the back?

Yeah, I called LV customer service, a very helpful person named Sue, and she said they should fit, when I read the online catalog listing the first time I didn't see it and she said they might have still been editing, but now it clearly states that.  Actually, my only interest in LV irons would be the fluting irons.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I got a notice that my credit card was charged, so it would appear that the early orders are shipping!
(08-23-2017, 04:12 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: I got a notice that my credit card was charged, so it would appear that the early orders are shipping!

Yes, Sue confirmed that they are now shipping orders taken at Amana, they were waiting for the boxes that just came in, the planes themselves were ready.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hi -

All Amana orders have now shipped. Tracking info says the first customers will receive planes today, with the majority having them by end of day Monday, and susbstantially all by end of day Wed. For those shipped by USPS, may be a bit longer. We will release the plane for general sale on Sept 2nd.

Cheers -

Rob
Wink 
I purchased a couple of Stanley 45 cutters at a MWTCA meet earlier this month, and I can tell you that they work fine in the new LV combo Plane (lg. plow).  This is a really well designed / made tool folks, and the birch box and cutter holders are well worth the added investment also.  In the coming weeks I will cut some test profiles and show them, but I sure others might get to it sooner.  Right now I have get on to some outdoor work before the seasons change.
Since the fence can be mounted on either side I wonder if it's possible to buy a second fence so you could have them on both sides. There's some operations where I'd think it would be nice to have the wood held between fences to assure the registration of the plane.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(08-27-2017, 05:39 PM)cpolubin Wrote: Since the fence can be mounted on either side I wonder if it's possible to buy a second fence so you could have them on both sides. There's some operations where I'd think it would be nice to have the wood held between fences to assure the registration of the plane.

Cliff

That's an interesting proposition.  After some thought, I don't think a fence on both sides would improve registration with any kind of handplane.  If you have the fence tight enough on both sides to prevent side-to-side movement, it would almost be like clamping the wood with the fences and therefore would be hard to push.  If it's loose enough to allow smooth movement, then it's too loose to provide optimal registration.  Like all other planes I know of that require a fence, one side is plenty adequate and, IMO preferred.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill