Did We Miss This? Veritas Combination Plane
(08-18-2017, 09:39 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Woodworkers are insane when it comes to spending their money. Sometimes, economic logic is meaningless for us.

Simon

It doesn't matter what hobby it is.  People will spend the money they have on what they want.  I play acoustic guitar and belong to a guitar forum.  You see arguments every week chastising people for buy new vs. used, or custom vs. standard model guitars.  The simple fact is when you have the money, the economics changes.  Not good or bad.  It's just a fact.  It's a rare millionaire who drives a Hyundai to work.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-17-2017, 11:48 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Note to the above....plane and a full set of cutters will set you back $1,000.....

BTW: I have a SW Stanley 45, type 20,  with all the standard cutters...28 in all.   I had to make a copy of the wooden Stanley box, as USPS trashed the original.   IF I need a cutter for a special job...usually have it in the plane in a week....$9 -$19 a piece...it does have a brass wing nut, to tighten the blade holder with.....at least it won't snap off like solid brass bolts will..or strip their threads in the iron body...

Did you happen to figure the cost to add the combo plane and the additional cutters when one already has the small plow and a full set of its cutters?

My coffee does not seem to have kicked in yet this morning.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Derek,

As always, thanks for the great contributions.

Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(08-18-2017, 10:12 AM)AHill Wrote:  It's a rare millionaire who drives a Hyundai to work.

Perhaps, must be a California thing, but in NJ I know several who drive a Subaru .....  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If anything..I'd rather much spend that kind of money on lumber, and use the tools I already have.....including a Stanley 45 with a full set of cutters I have had for over a year now....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Those of you who are comparing the Stanley and Lee Valley combo planes should not compare the tools just on the basis of cost. Unless you flatly reject the differences between vintage and modern premium planes, the modern equivalents perform much better than vintage ones.  I have owned the 45, the Record 43, the Veritas small plow, and I have used (briefly) the new Large Plow from LV.  The modern ones are clearly superior performers.  From a cost standpoint, the vintage are certainly less costly; and you may be better to stay with vintage if you foresee only occasional need for them.  I would say that the difference in in cost translates to superior results for the modern tools compared to old ones, and that extra cost may be worth it for many users.
Unless you are like me..who uses a Stanley 45 daily..
Cool ....and would prefer the wood to use it on, rather than just a new, blingy toy.....
No
You had my attention until "new blingy toy".
Bling works for me, if I could use my Stanley 45 irons in it. We'll see.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Sooo, you'd rather have the new tool, rather than the $1,000 in wood?
Confused