How do I fasten
I am recycling an old solid core door.  Years ago I made a workbench from pallets.  I put a 3/4" pressed wood top on it.  I am now replacing it with the 1.75" pressed wood door.  I am not a big fan of putting the screws into the pressed wood, but I like the idea of screwing up from the bottom, so the workbench top is clean.

Which way would you go.  Counter-sink the heads into the pressed wood, and screw into the hardwood, or screw up from the bottom into the pressed wood?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Up from the bottom.  Maybe an inch into the door. Less chance of hitting it with a miscut.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

What Stwood said , and if you don't think the screws will grab into the pressed wood well enough or they spin out, use a forsner bit and make holes that you can use a plug cutter to glue plugs of hardwood into for grip.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
(08-17-2017, 06:45 PM)Cecil Wrote: Which way would you go.  Counter-sink the heads into the pressed wood, and screw into the hardwood, or screw up from the bottom into the pressed wood?

A third alternative would be to glue some hardwood battens to the underside of the top.  Then drive screws horizontally through the battens and into the base.

Mike
I built a RAS bench with a 3 layer top. The bottom layer is 3/4" plywood. On top of that is 3/4" MDF (for flatness) screwed into the plywood from the top with flat-head screws, countersunk so the top is not obstructed by the screw heads. I attached 3/4" oak "banding" around the top and left it 1/4" proud (a lip) at the top. Then I cut a piece of 1/4" masonite to cover the top. It is held in place by the 1/4" oak lip. It's hard and fairly scuff resistant; and, best of all, it's be easily replaced when it gets unsightly - just lift it out and put a new one in. Sounds like you could use a similar construction with your door.
I used GRK truss head fasteners, up from the bottom.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe

Cool
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020