Pocket Screws
What's wrong with pocket screws?   Are there disadvantages to using them?  They seem pretty handy for the amateur woodworker (like me). 

I'm  taking on a project that requires a number of precise M&T joints to increase my skill in that area.  But there are a bunch of other joints that don't lend themselves to M&T that look like they would be relatively easy with pocket screws, and they are all hidden.  Will I be cheating?

R.
Nothing's wrong with pocket screws.  Do what YOU want to do.  All my shop furniture is made with pocket screw joinery.  Most modern kitchens use pocket screw joinery for face frames.  Norm Abram used a lot of pocket screws in the early years of New Yankee Workshop.  He made some pretty nice furniture that way.  Some will claim using pocket screws limits your woodworking skills.  In your case, you're learning new skills, so don't feel guilty.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I agree with AHill. Nothing wrong with doing what YOU want to do. Just ignore anyone that complains about it.
I use them for face frames and cabinets.  I also use glue for these joints.  

If I am making a lot of like-sized cabinets I will often used grooved (dadoed) joinery; once the setup is out of the way this is a very fast way to assemble cabinets.

For face frame construction and attachment it is really the only efficient way to do them (in my opinion).  In most cases you can hide the screw holes for cabinets by planning them to face the nearby cabinet.  

On the down-side, they are not as strong as some other joints, and you have the cost of the screws. 

I would not use them for drawer fronts (boxes) but I would be fine using them for the rears.

The learning curve is short and the equipment required is fairly cheap.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
No it's not cheating.....it's doing what YOU want to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
We were at a furniture store and saw dining room sets where the chairs were assembled with pocket screws.

I figured maybe there was M&T joinery/dowels/dominos or something like that underneath, and the pocket screws where there to clamp thinks while glue set.

The chairs seemed solid.

I find pocket screws not only handy for furniture projects but they've come in handy for other things around the house.  Like when I wanted to add some in-wall blocking for a pedestal sink once.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
When screws are not really needed but clamping is difficult or in the way, I'll use screws (blind hole) just until the glue sets up then remove them.

Pocket screws won't split your wood like tapered screws.
Yes, pocket screws are cheating.  So are Blum undermount slides.
Cheating is good.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
(08-18-2017, 11:59 AM)David G Wrote: Yes, pocket screws are cheating.  So are Blum undermount slides.
Cheating is good.
Power tools are cheating.

Cheating is good.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Would you climb under this vehicle?

https://youtu.be/Ahb9RUf6wtg
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK