Airless vs Conversion or HVLP
I have one of the older Graco airless units and I wouldn't think of using it for anything but walls and ceilings, which is what I bought it for many years ago. When I decided to start spraying my woodworking projects I looked at all the possibilities, HVLP with a compressor, Conversion gun with a compressor, the new Airless systems and HVLP with a dedicated system. I ended deciding the HVLP with a dedicated system was the way I wanted to go, due to the less waste over the newer Airless and conversion system and the portability over a compressor HVLP setup. I got the Earlex 6900 setup, which has been superseded by a newer model and I have been very happy with it. It is a 3 stage unit, was very affordable and it has enough power to spray latex paint, with a little dilution. It does a great job with water borne finishes, both poly and lacquer, which is about all I spray.
Earl
Thanks for all the great information. Where I am with spraying at the moment is using a Badger air brush with the largest tip I can get for thinned finishes like shellac or lacquer. With patience, and a soft drink bottle attached for product, it works very well. The last thing I sprayed with it was a chest of drawers.
With all the advice above, I'm leaning toward an HVLP system similar to the Earlex.
Just an FYI -
Menards has a Sanborn compressor that does 11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI on sale for $400.  If you can find a Lowes coupon they will honor that too.  That's how I bought mine and it has worked fine.  I use it with my HVLP setup from Jeff Jewitt.  For the money, it will shoot anything that I'm going to use and much more.  It has the pressurized cup (with liners) so no lines or pot to clean up and you can seal the cup to use later.  Spray any angle or upside down, it doesn't matter.  Several people on the forum have the same gun and as far as I know everyone is happy.  Just another option for you.

Lonnie
(08-30-2017, 07:34 AM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Just an FYI -
Menards has a Sanborn compressor that does 11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI on sale for $400.  If you can find a Lowes coupon they will honor that too.  That's how I bought mine and it has worked fine.  I use it with my HVLP setup from Jeff Jewitt.  For the money, it will shoot anything that I'm going to use and much more.  It has the pressurized cup (with liners) so no lines or pot to clean up and you can seal the cup to use later.  Spray any angle or upside down, it doesn't matter.  Several people on the forum have the same gun and as far as I know everyone is happy.  Just another option for you.

Lonnie

11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI

Those are goofy specs. I'd be interested to know the CFM @ 45 PSI... <-- more like how a gun would be set up.

I see a lot of manufacturers advertising high CFM but CFM is generally pretty high at high pressure no matter how big the compressor is. The real story is closer to 40-45psi
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(08-30-2017, 07:48 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: 11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI

Those are goofy specs. I'd be interested to know the CFM @ 45 PSI... <-- more like how a gun would be set up.

I see a lot of manufacturers advertising high CFM but CFM is generally pretty high at high pressure no matter how big the compressor is. The real story is closer to 40-45psi

Specs show 13.4 CFM @ 40 PSI.

Lonnie
(08-30-2017, 08:26 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Specs show 13.4 CFM @ 40 PSI.

Lonnie

That will push a most spray guns. A lot of air for $400
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay