Maine's East Coast
Just to add to Dave1's list, when you're at the Jordan Pond House, make sure you have the popovers!

Liberty Tool in Liberty, Me - a bit off Rt 1.  I was there a week ago.  I hear Hull's Cove is better, but Liberty Tools is definitely an experience.

Have fun!  My daughter went to Colby College and I love Maine in the fall.   I know you're technically still going in the summer, but September in Maine is definitely not summer anymore.

Steve
The Shelter Institute sells quality+ hand tools  from around the world -Woolwich, Maine on Route 1  north of Bath.   https://www.shelterinstitute.com/shop

There are many nice windjammer cruises at various towns-The Olad has a nice four hour cruise out of Camden Harbor.

Various Puffin Cruises (birds)

Lots of hikes everywhere

Lots of camping and outdoor activities in the old north woods. See one of the Maine on line sources.

Island day trips.

Beautiful lakes all around...  Lincoln (Long Pond, etc), Rangely Lake in the west , Moosehead Lake (Greenville) in the northwest.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(08-21-2017, 02:57 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: What do I need to add to LOML's sight seeing list?  We land in Portland 9/12 and will work our way North on Hwy 1 for a few days then leave Portland the 18th.

Rent a kayak, do the maine island trail.
I can attest to Bar Harbor and Acadia being must-sees. A friend of mine is an artist (landscaper, bar tender..) and lives up there all year. Good place for some real chowda!! Lots of family in more southern/central Maine too. It's a great place, enjoy!
Benny

(08-21-2017, 02:57 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: What do I need to add to LOML's sight seeing list?  We land in Portland 9/12 and will work our way North on Hwy 1 for a few days then leave Portland the 18th.

Lots of great suggestions. If you do get up as far as Mt. Desert Island/Acadia National Park go down to NE Harbor and take the mailboat out to the Cranberry Islands. Across at SW Harbor you can tour Hinckley Yachts. Don't overlook Portland: great food & beer, nice art museum and home of the Portland Sea Dogs, Red Sox AA baseball team. Safe trip.
If your travels take you to Bangor there's lots to see here, http://colemuseum.org/ if you like that kind of stuff.
A couple more ideas:

Kennebunkport:  This is south of Portland, but after flying into Portland, you should stay a couple days at a B&B in Kennebunkport.  Your wife would love the shopping there.  Pier 77 is a cool restaurant at Cape Porpoise.

Camden.  I know Camden was mentioned, but I would spend a couple days here at one of the B&B's if I were you.  Your wife would like the shops.  Take a ride on one of the windjammers in the beautiful harbor. 

Owl's head lighthouse, near Rockland.  A very short hike out to the lighthouse for some nice views. 

If your wife is into the artist Andrew Wyeth, "Christina's World," go out to the Olson House.  This is somewhat near Rockland.

Windsor Chairmakers, right on Hwy. 1 in Lincolnville, just outside of Camden. Windsor chairs and other furniture made here.  Your wife would love the showroom, while you might venture to the wood shop.
The Center for Furniture Craftsmanship (woodworking school) is located in Rockport, a mile or so off the main highway. Rockport is just South of Camden. The school is interesting and has some good workshops if you're interested in that. It also has a gallery that exhibits new work of students, instructors and local woodworkers of note. Garrett Hack has exhibited there, among others. Here's the link:

http://www.woodschool.org
Boothe Bay Harbor, go on Capt. Fish river cruise, Lighthouses, shipyard, eagles, history and an interesting ride. For sure the lobster co-op. Stop at the Kittery trading post just to see the full size moose mount if for nothing else.

Just north of Boothe Bay on rt. 1; 

LIE-NIELSEN TOOLWORKS
Route 1
Warren, ME 04864

You can buy the wife a something there!
Smile

Ken