Leather on wood
I'm gluing leather on the woodem jaws of my vise-suggestions for the best glue?

Thanks in advance!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Rubber cement because you'll likely change them in the future.
Apply to both sides, then apply after drying completely.
I used double face tape.
I used hide glue, works great on leather.
(08-21-2017, 06:03 PM)Herb G Wrote: Rubber cement because you'll likely change them in the future.
Apply to both sides, then apply after drying completely.

Just in case anybody's confused, "both sides" means the vise side and the side of the leather jaw piece.  Not both sides of the leather. 
Smile
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
What side faces out? Split side or smooth side?

Again, thanks in advance!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Won't matter after using it.

Thanks Allan, for the clear up.
(08-22-2017, 11:23 AM)Tony Z Wrote: What side faces out?  Split side or smooth side?

I put the smooth side out.  The split side is a better surface for the glue.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Tony,  Get the very top edge well saturated and glued down (really any glue).  Do it so there is extra leather/glue above the vise chop.  Then after it dries up, cut it off flush.  Keep an eye on that seam.  The leather will start to peel at some point.  If that seam gets sawdust in it, it will only grow.  Keep it glued tight.  You'll like this addition.
(08-22-2017, 11:23 AM)Tony Z Wrote: What side faces out?  Split side or smooth side?

If you apply  rubber cement to the two mating surfaces and allow both surfaces to dry first, they will behave like contact cement (with less adhesion).  This bond provides good adhesion for shear, but not so good for tensile strength.  That means that it is not likely to slide up or down on the face of the vise, but will be fairly easy to remove by pulling it away from the surface.  

It will "rub off" easily so replacing it will be a breeze.  That would not be the case with other glue choices.  

And, as in all glue-ups, the the vise has to have a clean surface for the rubber cement to adhere to.  

Replacing the pieces is a breeze.  Rub off the old adhesive (no need to clean it more than that), apply the rubbers cement again to the surface of the vise and the leather, and apply like contact cement.

I would cut several pieces of leather and put them in a plastic sandwich bag along with the remaining rubber cement so you can replace the leather pads quickly and easily.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.