Fire Pit
We are having a patio put in and would like to include a fire pit. I am having someone put all this in since it will be a bigger project than I have time for. The paver companies make fire pit kits that include a steel liner with the bricks to stack around it. My concern is there does not seem to be air vents holes along the bottom of these kits. I have camped in enough campgrounds with fire rings with no ventilation at the bottom to know how frustrating it can be to have a fire with little oxygen. When I look on line on the DYI building of fire pits they mention leaving vent holes around the bottom of the pavers. Does any one have experience with these kit fire pits? Do they work well or are they just cheap ways to give people something that just looks good? Should I push the contractor to buld it out of fire brick with ventilation or use the kit?
Contact 2Beast,he is the landscaping genius.Sometimes hangs out in the OT forum.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I built mine without vent holes but put a raised grate in the bottom and never have a problem
I bought a fire ring from Northern Tool. It's awesome. Weighs about 75lbs. Made by Pilot Rock? Same as the stuff at the National Parks
My son has and enjoys a fire pit sitting on a wooden deck next to the canal in back of his house.

No idea where he got but it looks similar to this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Fir...8/54169733
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Consider a 48" diameter steel vessel head, 3/8" thick.  Weld three legs under it and you have a raised firepit.  Not easily moved however.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
(08-22-2017, 07:13 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Contact 2Beast,he is the landscaping genius.Sometimes hangs out in the OT forum.

Mel

Yes
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-22-2017, 08:45 AM)Wipedout Wrote: I built mine without vent holes but put a raised grate in the bottom and never have a problem

Here is mine

with fire in it

Ours is free standing with a huge stainless steel bowl with no vent and a small grate in the bottom. It works fine. Get a stainless bowl if you use metal or it will burn through soon enough. After 14 or so years, our bowl is still going strong.
(08-24-2017, 12:20 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Here is mine

with fire in it

We have a free standing "pit" but the wife would like something like this when we put in the patio. The kits use a metal ring insert instead of the fire brick you used. I don't see how that would make much difference. I like your idea of using a raised grate. I wonder about just using some sand to partially fill the pit if we want the fire raised a little.