Walnut oil question
I have a fair amount of walnut oil to use for bowls and cutting boards. I would like to heat treat it. Anyone have the specifics of how to do it?
Any help would be appreciated.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(08-22-2017, 06:40 PM)scpapa Wrote: I have a fair amount of walnut oil to use for bowls and cutting boards. I would like to heat treat it. Anyone have the specifics of how to do it?

Rick

Googled "how to heat treat walnut oil" and got this:

https://infusionfibers.wordpress.com/tag/walnut-oil/
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
dlorenz, thanks for the reply.
I found lots of recipes for applying walnut oil that refer to heating the oil to mix with wax, but there is still the danger of nut allergies. I read somewhere that "heat treating" it will nullify the ingredient that is offensive. Mahoney's utility finish says it contains heat treated, so I think it's possible.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(08-22-2017, 06:40 PM)scpapa Wrote: I have a fair amount of walnut oil to use for bowls and cutting boards. I would like to heat treat it. Anyone have the specifics of how to do it?

Rick

Russ is my source.  http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/f...alnut-oil/  get the "health food" stuff with no additives to retard the effect.  

Used it for spoons for years.  Warm flow in, then out into the sun.

The "nut allergy" concerns some people, but it is not to the oil, but the proteins in the nutmeats themselves. Filtration is done to clarify at the factory, so no real worry.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MichaelMouse, thanks for the link. It was most interesting. I wonder why I didn't run across myself. Anyway, I'll continue with the method I have been using (which is similar to that in the link) with no worries.

Winkgrin

Rick
MAGA!!