I Can Find Those Antique Tools Cheaper (article)
Let's face it, if we've ever sold a tool, we've probably all seen someone tell us they could find what we're selling for a better price than we're asking. In today's article, we dig into that mindset and the inherent flaws.

I Can Find Those Antique Tools Cheaper
like anything else, my answer is "well, go do it then" I have always wondered about the people that think that saying they can buy it elsewhere for X is a good negotiating tactic.  It's a statement that disproves itself.

I had a guy tell me I was asking too much for my ebay auction and that I should take it down and sell it  to him for a lowball price.  Problem was, it already sold for my dream price BIN the day before.
I set the standard for tool value: higher. All I can gloat over is wood I find for free, cheap, or outrageous.
(08-23-2017, 07:46 PM)EricU Wrote: like anything else, my answer is "well, go do it then" I have always wondered about the people that think that saying they can buy it elsewhere for X is a good negotiating tactic.  It's a statement that disproves itself.

I had a guy tell me I was asking too much for my ebay auction and that I should take it down and sell it  to him for a lowball price.  Problem was, it already sold for my dream price BIN the day before.

Guys who tell you that are never your buyer anyway. More likely, they're trying to tell you that they're smarter than you because in their mind, they can find it somewhere else for less. In most cases, they can't. Tell them to go %^%$#...
(08-23-2017, 09:38 PM)Bentley Wrote: Guys who tell you that are never your buyer anyway. More likely, they're trying to tell you that they're smarter than you because in their mind, they can find it somewhere else for less. In most cases, they can't. Tell them to go %^%$#...

Nah, I like: "Great! Go for it!" No controversy that way.
So I was haggling with a guy at the flea market for a Stanley 12. We were within $5 of an agreement. When I gave him my final offer he told me he could sell it for much more on the internet. I encouraged him to do so and even asked him why he tried to sell tools at the flea when he could get so much more for them online. I didn't get a very good explanation.

carl
Let's face it though. Some of those prices on antique/vintage tools, especially on CL are astronomical and unrealistic, but it depends on what you're willing to pay and if you have money to throw away or not. I wouldn't put down the offers- not everyone can afford rich prices anymore than one asking a lot needs the money. Old does not always mean it is worth a lot either. Some old tools are worthless to the man who wants to actually use them.
(08-24-2017, 09:13 AM)daddo Wrote: Let's face it though. Some of those prices on antique/vintage tools, especially on CL are astronomical and unrealistic, but it depends on what you're willing to pay and if you have money to throw away or not. I wouldn't put down the offers- not everyone can afford rich prices anymore than one asking a lot needs the money. Old does not always mean it is worth a lot either. Some old tools are worthless to the man who wants to actually use them.

Definitely agree - I'm in Atlanta and the few times I can find things on CL or antique stores, they're pretty ridiculous. That's where the call for "compare with eBay sold prices" holds weight also in how we price things. Sure, there's locale & opportunity cost, but near me the stamped steel frog plane that's missing a blade and red with rust isn't worth $40, sorry mate.
(08-24-2017, 09:13 AM)daddo Wrote: Let's face it though. Some of those prices on antique/vintage tools, especially on CL are astronomical and unrealistic, but it depends on what you're willing to pay and if you have money to throw away or not.  I wouldn't put down the offers- not everyone can afford rich prices anymore than one asking a lot needs the money. Old does not always mean it is worth a lot either. Some old tools are worthless to the man who wants to actually use them.

Again, it's where you are.  I hunt in several flea markets, and have tool buyers in each with whom I am in very friendly competition, and we all have price discipline in that we don't overpay for tools, its amazing, we all pass on the same items when we compare notes, as the sellers are just being unrealistic in price.  The regular sellers know who we are and that we are buyers, not lookers.  I've benefited from that, as I'll make several rounds of the market sticking around after the others have left, knowing the other guys have also asked, and passed on a tool, and on my way out I'll make a final reasonable offer and I'll get it, as the seller knew if he wants to sell that I was the last chance that day.  If they are too high, I never argue, always say thank you, treat the seller with respect, be consistently polite and respectful and only counter when we are close enough on perceived value.  It's silly (as well as a waste of my time) to get into a debate over value with a seller who does not know about tools other than the highest bid on ebay.  Sometimes as I walk away they ask me for an offer, and I'll give them my price, but encourage them to try and get theirs, and often they take my offer, especially regulars who know that I don't try and cheat anyone.

Many times sellers ask me what something is worth, and I try and be honest with them, pointing out issues, and explaining why something is worth more or less due to condition. They appreciate that, and more often than you think a seller will hold back items from the table and give me a first look, precisely because I've helped them out in the past.  As a rust hunter, that's what you want to be perceived as, i.e., a trusted buyer, who gets the pick of the litter.  But as the OP mentioned, that takes time, consistency and persistence, and all have associated costs.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm getting some deja vu from your post, Admiral.... Hahaha.