Edge jointing
(08-27-2017, 08:35 AM)FloridaRetiree Wrote: Beautiful dining room table.

Am wondering though about the breadboard ends and movement given the differences in expansion and contraction?

Hope tis not an issue on this piece but have learned the hard way in the past and thus formed a religion based on knowledge of hygroscopicity and anisotropicity.

When you construct allowing for wood movement it is not a hard way experience; it is built on solid and proven construction techniques 

table is  now 8 yrs old and looks just fine today as it did the day it was finished
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Getting back to the question of jointing without a jointer, I just wanted to point out another approach.  Pask has posted a video showing a way to use a tablesaw for the purpose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21u4bou930w

It can be added to the list of methods.
(08-25-2017, 08:18 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: A track saw makes straightening an edge on lumber a snap. Couldn't be easier.

Yeah, but he could get a jointer for less.  I have both, but in terms of equipment acquisition priorities, a jointer would come first.
Bob
(08-28-2017, 06:00 PM)BobW Wrote: ...he could get a jointer for less.  I have both, but in terms of equipment acquisition priorities, a jointer would come first.

We all have different priorities. I went a long time without a jointer and could do it again. But I would never give up my track saw. My Festool TS 55 kit I bought for $350 on c/l. My 8" PM 60 jointer I paid $700 on c/l.
Wood is good. 
(08-28-2017, 06:50 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: We all have different priorities. I went a long time without a jointer and could do it again. But I would never give up my track saw. My Festool TS 55 kit I bought for $350 on c/l. My 8" PM 60 jointer I paid $700 on c/l.

you right we all have different priorities 

mine certainly are not the same as yours 

I have done just fine without a track saw so far. I prefer jointer cuts to sawn ones
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(08-28-2017, 06:50 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: We all have different priorities. I went a long time without a jointer and could do it again. But I would never give up my track saw. My Festool TS 55 kit I bought for $350 on c/l. My 8" PM 60 jointer I paid $700 on c/l.

How's flattening the face of your boards with that track saw workin' out for you?
Winkgrin
Bob
How is breaking down a sheet of plywood working out for you on your jointer?
Smile
Wood is good. 
(08-29-2017, 01:18 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: How is breaking down a sheet of plywood working out for you on your jointer?
Smile

For a LOT of years before any of us ever heard the name Festool we did exactly that, and with just as good a result, provided you understood how a saw blade cut, simply, easily, and pretty quickly with an everyday circle saw, and a home made shoe. Nah, a Jointer would always be a first acquisition. Everyone already had a circular saw.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
As much as a track saw might benefit one who only worked in sheet goods it is not a replacement for a jointer on solid stock . it also points out what Steve said above 

A simple solution for guiding the saw even a really cheap saw is easily fabricated for those particular times one would use sheet goods 

I imagine one could figure out a way to straighten the edge on a 1" wide solid board with a track saw in about 5 times it would take to run the same edge over a jointer 

It is a matter of efficiency and appropriate application of the tool.

Take your boards to a cabinet or millwork shop. They will straighten your edges properly for a small fee. Then hurry home and glue them up before they move - and they will move so don't waste time after they are ready for glue.