Endura replacement threshold installation
I bought one of these Endura thresholds to replace the failed threshold on the door between my kitchen and garage:

[Image: 7bd30a73c3d230d43d3b7b2be6f784a5.image.7...grande.jpg]

Neither the seller nor Endura have any instructions for installing this beast.

Has anyone ever installed one of these in an existing door?

thanks
chris
Yeah, return it and buy a solid oak threshold.  Cut to fit, apply three coats of a decent floor finish, and add a sweep to the bottom of the door.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(08-25-2017, 08:22 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Yeah, return it and buy a solid oak threshold.  Cut to fit, apply three coats of a decent floor finish, and add a sweep to the bottom of the door.

H'mmm. Why return it?

This is kind of an odd installation as the door opens inward to a set of three steps leading down into the garage. The top "step" is pitched down and the threshold mounts on the step and floor of the house. I put a spacer in to install the last threshold, and could do that again if need be.

Thought a more robust threshold would hold up better that POS I got from the Borg.

I did get a sweep for the door.
chris
Will this LINK to the instructions for Endura products help ?    Roly
(08-25-2017, 10:17 AM)Roly Wrote: Will this LINK to the instructions for Endura products help ?    Roly

You would think, but Endura thinks these are sold as replacement parts. Thus the manuals on that page are for their "systems" which are for new construction.

thanks
chris
They are replacement parts. You still need to pull the door frame out.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Sadly the correct way is to remove the frame and set the new threshold 

You can make it work as a slip fit but the efforts to accomplish it are really not worth the effort it takes and removing the door is generally faster 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(08-25-2017, 08:49 AM)doobes Wrote: H'mmm. Why return it?

This is kind of an odd installation as the door opens inward to a set of three steps leading down into the garage.  The top "step" is pitched down and the threshold mounts on the step and floor of the house.  I put a spacer in to install the last threshold, and could do that again if need be.

Thought a more robust threshold would hold up better that POS I got from the Borg.

I did get a sweep for the door.

I'd make a threshold that accommodates the pitch of the step before I'd entertain the notion of removing the door to install that thing.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(08-26-2017, 04:11 PM)JGrout Wrote: Sadly the correct way is to remove the frame and set the new threshold 

You can make it work as a slip fit but the efforts to accomplish it are really not worth the effort it takes and removing the door is generally faster 

Joe

Yes 

I put in a similar replacing an existing while i was replacing the outside frame to the door.  The one I replaced was installed wrong - when we bought the house the door was replaced as part of the contingency.  I'm pretty sure they just hung a new door and put in a new threshold.  After having replaced the exterior frame and the threshold, I am certain it would have been easy to put in a new pre-hung door than it was to replace the threshold like it was supposed to be.

I also had a hard time finding instructions.  The one I bought had poor diagrams, and I couldn't find info online either...
(08-26-2017, 07:44 PM)JosephP Wrote:
Yes 

I put in a similar replacing an existing while i was replacing the outside frame to the door.  The one I replaced was installed wrong - when we bought the house the door was replaced as part of the contingency.  I'm pretty sure they just hung a new door and put in a new threshold.  After having replaced the exterior frame and the threshold, I am certain it would have been easy to put in a new pre-hung door than it was to replace the threshold like it was supposed to be.

I also had a hard time finding instructions.  The one I bought had poor diagrams, and I couldn't find info online either...

instructions are hard to come by but it is really not that hard the frame legs are precut, and the sill only needs to be the correct length. in most cases you do not even have to cut the sill as the unit is built around standard door clearances this of course is predicated by removal of the unit to do the replacement The difficulty of doing it in place is likely the reason it was done incorrectly 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy