shiplap, what I need to know
I am going to apply shiplap to a 1953 built plaster/wire mesh wall.  I have never used shiplap and I have a lot of questions.  This is for a rarely used half-bath.  I don't think moisture in a half bath is going to be an issue.

1.  Do I paint it before application?
2.  Do I paint both sides?
3.  Do I face nail it to the studs on 14" centers?  Two nails per stud?
4.  Do I use a 15 gage or 18  gage nailer?  I think the longest 18 gage nail is 2" for my Porter Cable.  
5.  Do I sand the boards before painting?
6.  Do I use a shellac based primer for the knots?
7.  What gap to use between boards to allow for expansion.
8.  Do I fill the nail holes after installation?  Do I set the nails below the surface?

Or 

A good reference on this subject.

Thanks,

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
1.  Do I paint it before application?       I would
2.  Do I paint both sides?       All 6 sides
3.  Do I face nail it to the studs on 14" centers?  Two nails per stud?     yes
4.  Do I use a 15 gage or 18  gage nailer?  I think the longest 18 gage nail is 2" for my Porter Cable.        I would use 15ga. 2 1/2" for 3/4" material
5.  Do I sand the boards before painting?       that's up to you. I don't
6.  Do I use a shellac based primer for the knots?       yes
7.  What gap to use between boards to allow for expansion.       Shiplap usually has a overlap
8.  Do I fill the nail holes after installation?  Do I set the nails below the surface?    again personal preference
(08-25-2017, 11:29 AM)cndamm Wrote: 1.  Do I paint it before application?       I would
2.  Do I paint both sides?       All 6 sides
3.  Do I face nail it to the studs on 14" centers?  Two nails per stud?     yes
4.  Do I use a 15 gage or 18  gage nailer?  I think the longest 18 gage nail is 2" for my Porter Cable.        I would use 15ga. 2 1/2" for 3/4" material
5.  Do I sand the boards before painting?       that's up to you. I don't
6.  Do I use a shellac based primer for the knots?       yes
7.  What gap to use between boards to allow for expansion.       Shiplap usually has a overlap
8.  Do I fill the nail holes after installation?  Do I set the nails below the surface?    again personal preference

cnd,

Thanks for the reply.

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-25-2017, 11:29 AM)cndamm Wrote: .....

Unless he's been watching Joanna Gaines - then any wood used in any portion of any part of the wall or ceiling is "ship lap" regardless of the presence of any actual lap.

(She has done OK financially with that, so who am I to judge?...I just thought names meant something.)
(08-25-2017, 09:22 PM)JosephP Wrote: Unless he's been watching Joanna Gaines - then any wood used in any portion of any part of the wall or ceiling is "ship lap" regardless of the presence of any actual lap.

(She has done OK financially with that, so who am I to judge?...I just thought names meant something.)

Aaaaand, she's easy to look at.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-26-2017, 04:48 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Aaaaand, she's easy to look at.

Very easy,watch her every chance I get.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(08-25-2017, 09:26 AM)Cooler Wrote: 1.  Do I paint it before application? Finish as you like, but painting first means you can paint the shoulder so it doesn't show after installation.
2.  Do I paint both sides? Just the face is good in this application, typically we only paint all 6 sides for extreior applications.
3.  Do I face nail it to the studs on 14" centers?  Two nails per stud? How wide is this material? 1x4 2 nails, 1x6 3 nails 1x8 4 nails
4.  Do I use a 15 gage or 18  gage nailer?  I think the longest 18 gage nail is 2" for my Porter Cable.  15 ga will hold much better then an 18 ga brad nail
5.  Do I sand the boards before painting? Depends on what you want the finish to be, rustic or smooth
6.  Do I use a shellac based primer for the knots? If you have loose knots I'd fill over then with a thin set epoxy like Sytems 3, they will never fall out. smaller tight knots that are rough you can fill with wood bondo like Minwax
7.  What gap to use between boards to allow for expansion. Ship lap is self gapping, the leg is/should be longer then the rabbit, if not 1/16" is suffecent
8.  Do I fill the nail holes after installation?  Do I set the nails below the surface? Depends on the look you want, rustic or smooth.
I'm a journeyman WWer,

Every projects a journey man.