Sears-No Woodworking tablesaw
(08-26-2017, 12:15 PM)messmaker Wrote: I had not looked in a while but I just realized that Sears no longer has any woodworking table saw. Lots of people started with a Craftsman contractor saw. Makes me a bit sad.

If you visited a store that had no table saws on display, it could be that some stores are cutting back on display inventory to save money.  Sadly, Sears has declined.  So many tools now are no longer made in the USA.  More and more cheap and junk tools.  Their point of sale system is so slow and cumbersome I'd much rather order online or go somewhere else.  Craftsman brand used to mean something good.  Now it's just a step or two above Harbor Freight.  The likes of Amazon and Walmart have driven them to irrelevance.  The Fat Lady is warming up backstage.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-28-2017, 07:55 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: And they could make a similar case study out of the Delta sitting right next to it

Yep, you got that right also!

And I still have in storage one of the last Delta Limited Edition 10" Contractor's saws made in America with the extended table, Unifence, and mobile base. 

It's for sale for anyone who wants to visit southeast Florida to pick up.  Would need a large SUV or pick-up.

Have all the original manuals and instructions for assembly too.

Smile
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(08-28-2017, 08:29 AM)geek2me Wrote: I'm curious what caused you to think this - Sears still has tablesaws, Craftsman brand as well as several other brands, and stocks them in most stores.  They have a row of them set up for displays at my local Sears.

Maybe you shopped a smaller Sears or a franchise location?  Might also have moved them, getting about time for them to reorganize the tool department for the Christmas buildup.

My store just has Craftsman job site saws. I looked online and saw only 4 craftsman saws online. I am sure you may be able to order some other brands if you tried hard enough but Craftsman table saws have been a centerpiece of the Sears tool department for as long as I can remember. My local lowe's sometimes has a Porter Cable saw but my local Home Depot no longer has a Ridgid in the store. 12-15 years ago there were maybe 20 different saws available. I would guess you would have trouble finding 1/2 that many now.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Sears is moving to a membership model.  I do not see the tool department doing well with such a model, but that may be a moot point anyway.  I have not looked at the research, but in my pea brain, memberships cater more to the female mindset.  While many women are involved in trades and hobbies which are tool-centric, it is still dominate by men.  I see their tool department shrinking considerably in the near future, unless they abandon the move toward a membership model.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Sears still actually sells a 10" RAS!  After all that recall buisness, who knew?  
Eek

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professio...ockType=G1

The only Craftsman TS's on their site seem to be small jobsite units, with one larger one, though none with a convention induction motor hanging out the back.  But they sell Jet, and Grizzly, and General Int., and even the new Unisaw.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
They have them here and that's Hilo, Hawaii.
VH07V  
(08-29-2017, 03:44 PM)EightFingers Wrote: They have them here and that's Hilo, Hawaii.

What is sad is not the disappearance of tablesaws on the floor at your location. It is the disappearance of Sears stores all the country at a rate that cannot be reversed that is sad. If you see a store with empty shelves not getting re-stocked, it could be one of the stores earmarked for closure.

Sears has sold the Craftsman brand which is otherwise known as Crapsman. My Craftsman router is still a workhorse even though it is old.

This sinking ship (along with K-mart) is beyond repair and I will give it no more than two years (three is close to a miracle), Not sure but someone told me Canadian Sears -- separated from Sears -- has filed for bankruptcy protection.

The last time I was at a Sears store, there was pretty much zero customer service other than staff manning the tills. The Tools section was a joke as no one was around to help. The Appliances dept. seemed to have at least one guy or two there.

Simon
(08-30-2017, 08:33 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: . . .

Sears has sold the Craftsman brand which is otherwise known as Crapsman. My Craftsman router is still a workhorse even though it is old.

. . . .

Lucky You!

Many many many years ago I innocently bought one of those routers.

Soon as I tried to do some real (more than 1-minute) worth of work with it,
it burned up with all the usual sparks and flashes.

What a joke!
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink