how would i go about staining this?
i really didnt know how to title this thread, but heres what i have:
actually, i think im going to be using wood dyes.
i have to build some cornhole boards for a good friend. he asked if i could put the outline of texas on them and dye them in the color pattern like this. he wants to be able to see the grain through the dye- sure!!
ummm, ok...i havent ever had to do a dye/stain a pattern that buts up to each other and have a crisp edge between them. im not sure how i should tackle it and could use some assistance on the process. im thinking covering the top of the boards with frisket film, then attaching a pattern of the state onto that then cut out each section seperately. but not sure... 

im pretty tired tonight and dont know if im makin sense. prolly should have waited til tomorrow morning to ask.
hope im makin some semblence to sense here of what im tryin to accomplish.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-26-2017, 07:55 PM)tomsteve Wrote: i really didnt know how to title this thread, but heres what i have:
actually, i think im going to be using wood dyes.
i have to build some cornhole boards for a good friend. he asked if i could put the outline of texas on them and dye them in the color pattern like this. he wants to be able to see the grain through the dye- sure!!
ummm, ok...i havent ever had to do a dye/stain a pattern that buts up to each other and have a crisp edge between them. im not sure how i should tackle it and could use some assistance on the process. im thinking covering the top of the boards with frisket film, then attaching a pattern of the state onto that then cut out each section seperately. but not sure... 

im pretty tired tonight and dont know if im makin sense. prolly should have waited til tomorrow morning to ask.
hope im makin some semblence to sense here of what im tryin to accomplish.

I think the dye would bleed under the film or even a clear finish.  It may work if you rout a little 1/16" vein between the different colors .    Try it on scrap first.    Roly
I think you're best off using paint.  You can dilute the paint and add successive layers to achieve the result you wish.  Otherwise, I think the only way a dye would work without bleedover is if you make each differently colored part from separate pieces of wood, then attach them together using cleats from the underside after they've been dyed.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I would use a fine V-chisel or a curved riffler (like used for making wood grips on guns) to delineate the color changes.

https://www.amazon.com/10-pieces-5-1-Rif...iffler+set

Use a 00-brush or a 000-brush and make a very fine line with shellac in the groove.  Then dye or stain.

[Image: BambooBrushes.jpg]

You might do better using diluted paint.  I don't think diluted acrylic will bleed so much.  A very fine line painted with shellac should stop the bleeding with or without the v-groove.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.