Hanging tool cabinet design question
(08-27-2017, 10:27 AM)Admiral Wrote: The hinges are just fine to hold my doors...

[Image: 12287651386_0821b0608d_b.jpg]

Admiral - You used normal piano hinges?
(01-28-2018, 11:12 AM)Cian Wrote: Admiral - You used normal piano hinges?

Yup, nothing special, the stuff they stock in the Home Depot. It's been about 6 1/2 years (Sept 2011) since I built it and its still sound.  But I did use 3/4 stock for the sides of each box where the screws went in, and put them on the exterior so I wasn't screwing into end grain of plywood; and 1/2" ply for the face of the doors.  You can see that in this pic.  Also, it is totally hanging on the wall (almost full width french cleat with the wall part anchored into three studs), the toolbox and shelf underneath freely move and bear no weight of the too cabinet.  So they have held up well for a quick and dirty cabinet made from HD cheap plywood.

[Image: 13631454163_498c82a939_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral, I had the same thoughts and concerns so I put my piano hinges on the outer faces of the case. I also used 48" hinges from HD. I think I paid ~$7 each for them?

Mine is hanging from a cleat up top that is screwed into three studs. It's a couple inches wider than the case itself, but I don't mind that. I also screwed in a 4" tall piece of 3/4" at the bottom of the case to match the cleat up top. After hanging the cabinet, I then put two 3-1/2" screws through the bottom of the case, centered vertically, into the center stud and cleat. Not a bad idea, but I kinda screwed myself over by then installing (gluing) the center divider on the bottom shelf. I didn't realize until the next day that I just covered up the screws that I would need to remove should I wish to move the cabinet.

Oh well. I guess it's permanent now!
Semper fi,
Brad

(09-05-2017, 08:43 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Thanks for all the input and experience, folks.  After mulling over it *and* your advice, I think I'll just stick with the original design.  After all, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff and the dude who designed it appears to have just a *bit* more experience than I do.

Laugh

If I find I need something different in the future, I'll just build another.

Nice cabinet!  I was about to start building another wall hanging cabinet for my hand tools, when my kids surprised me with a Milwaukee 46", 18-draw tool chest cabinet combo for my birthday.  I first I thought this is great for a mechanic, but what am I going to use it for as a woodworker. However, as I started looking at the space it has, I realized how much room was available.  I was able to store all my hand planes in the top section, and I built customer chisel and hand saw holders for the drawers to hold my chisels and saws.  I was able to use the other drawers for marking gauges, combination squares, and all my other hand tool accessories.  I cleaned off 2 wall hanging cabinets into this chest, and still have several drawers available.  I was pleasantly surprised how useful this cabinet is for a hand tool woodworker.  The one big advantage I really like is it has wheels!  Makes it very easy to roll around, but right now, it is parked right next to the work bench, so accessibility is very easy.  Just another angle in the constant quest to store our tools
Smile.  

Harry
“Show us a man who never makes a mistake and we will show a man who never makes anything."