Think I screwed up
Had never seen a #2 before. Saw one at a flea yesterday and the guy wanted $250.00. But it was cool to actually see one up close.
Then this morning I'm at a different flea and darn if a guy doesn't have another one. The tote had a clean crack and the screw for the knob was missing.
He wanted $100.00 and I passed.
Guess I've made too many bad buys in the past and wasn't sure what to look for besides the obvious cracks in the body.

Just needed to vent.
Well, the price trend is heading in the right direction - keep finding them until you get to, say, $10.
The one for $100 doesn't sound like that bad a price. I looked at 3 planes this weekend at a garage sale. The guy had a 2, 3 and 4 and all were in the boxes. He wanted $700 for the "set".
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
that's not a bad price for it, but if you aren't going to use it, why bother?  I'm not going to own a #1 for that same reason. I used to like #3's, but now they seem rather small to me
(08-27-2017, 07:58 PM)EricU Wrote: that's not a bad price for it, but if you aren't going to use it, why bother?  I'm not going to own a #1 for that same reason. I used to like #3's, but now they seem rather small to me

In my experience, the #1 is unusable, period.  The #2 is a very usable plane, as is the #3, at least for me, I don't have really large paws.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Tool collecting is like fishing and courting. You always remember the one that got away.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(08-28-2017, 07:24 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Tool collecting is like fishing and courting. You always remember the one that got away.

I agree. I've  learned two things about buying "keepers":

1. It never hurts to make an offer.
2. The time to buy it is when you see it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay