CAD programs
Is there a decent program out there that doesn't cost a fortune? The cost of most is apalling.
(08-28-2017, 04:16 PM)moses1945 Wrote: Is there a decent program out there that doesn't cost a fortune? The cost of most is apalling.

SketchUp.  Absolutely free.

John
3d - Fusion360
2d - DraftSight

Both completely free.
chris
I'd also recommend SketchUp. Lots of woodworking-specific help available for it, too.
(08-28-2017, 04:16 PM)moses1945 Wrote: Is there a decent program out there that doesn't cost a fortune? The cost of most is apalling.

You can get a 2D version of Solid Edge for free. It may have a slightly longer learning curve than some others, but is very complete in what you can do with it.

I used Solid Edge for many years as a Mechanical Engineer and since I retired, I use it to lay out all my projects and am able to do a lot of "what if " versions of my designs so I don't get half way through a project in the shop  and then wonder what it would have looked like if I had just done this or that.

Another plus is it can convert other CAD programs such as Solid Works, AutoCAD etc. into Solid Edge.
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
There is a student version of Creo Parametric that is free. It is a high end cad tool (may a bit much for wood projects but I use it at work)

OnShape is another option and as long as you share your designs with the public it's free. It's done in a web browser.

Tinker Cad is another one that is free. Really aimed at 3D printer designs but it should work for wood projects.

Sketch Up is pretty good too.
Thanks to all of you for the help.
I assume the above are for Windows. Anyone have recommended CAD programs for Linux OS?
(08-29-2017, 06:21 PM)Willyou Wrote: I assume the above are for Windows. Anyone have recommended CAD programs for Linux OS?

I assume the web based ones will work on linux?  Tinkercad or onshape are within a web browser.
(08-29-2017, 06:21 PM)Willyou Wrote: I assume the above are for Windows. Anyone have recommended CAD programs for Linux OS?

I've found that Draftsight 2017 (sp3) works reasonably well under Linux (available as a .deb or rpm). In fact, for a 2d program it works very well.  Only problem I've had is a printing bug that I got tired of really quick.  I now print to pdf, open the pdf in Evince, and print from there.  Seems to be a problem with wireless printers (I have 2). For 3d, Solvespace and Freecad plus a few others work, but I've heard that Sketchup works under Wine, if you want to go that way.

Good luck!
Bob