Half Bath Vanity
Here is a little vanity and wall panel I just finished installing.

[Image: 0VntK5A6fztnDNILdmVWc6djmX4LDlH711eo9LVI...71-h628-no]

[Image: luhNQ5xsce8auAo0-deZRNRpp3u6R5f78ALea_ew...38-h628-no]

The cabinet is shop sawn ash veneer on MDF.  It's finished with a white stain base and then GF's Enduro Clear Poly Flat.  The doors are mitered into a Z shape to follow the contour of the top, which was done to make it easier to enter/leave the small room. 

[Image: duUHwfRsqDUsnwgISY6AxAO2bJpn3zYDpgQJ6aPS...36-h328-no]

The vanity top also is made from MDF and is finished with BIN white pigmented shellac primer and topcoated with BM's Advance paint which is very durable once it finally cures. 

[Image: ML1SnQMjv93EtL_Z6L2fZJPGXow33E0vxH6lJ7Dv...38-h628-no]

The back panel has a recessed medicine cabinet built into it, shown in the first photo.  It is more shop sawn ash veneer on MDF and is finished with amber shellac and a mix of Transtint dyes and then topcoated with Sealcoat shellac and the GF Clear Poly.  

A mirror and a frame with exposed stiles and hidden rails will be hinged to the medicine cabinet.  A light will go at the top; yet to be chosen.  The towel rack needs to be replaced and relocated, too.  One step at a time. 

The sink is very small at about 10.5 x 16.5 x 4".  I was concerned that water from the faucet would just splash out but fortunately it doesn't, and as long as you are reasonably careful you can actually wash your hands w/o water going all over.  It's a half bath so it won't see a lot of use.  The faucet and sink drain are from Kraus and are very nice for the money.  This is the first drain I've used that had a rubber gasket to seal to the sink, instead of having to use plumber's putty.  Very nice, very easy, very happy.  

John
Very sharp!  I like the contrast.

Small spaces can require (allow for) special design.  I had just such an opportunity at my MIL's.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Much to like about the design and execution. Nicely done!
ah, John, did you forget the part that goes to the floor? looks good, you made a lot of extra work for yourself with all the jigs and jogs. I like the way you did the top, it's not something you see every day. Are the door miters reinforced or are they just glued? How is the overhang of the top constructed? Thanks.

Ken
Thanks. The corners of the doors have biscuits, mostly for alignment, but they do offer some reinforement. The top is essentially a 6 sided box with some reinforement and a large hole in the bottom for the drain and faucet. Pretty simple construction, just a lot of attention to get the joints flush so the paint looked good.

John.
(08-30-2017, 08:58 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks.  The corners of the doors have biscuits, mostly for alignment, but they do offer some reinforement.  The top is essentially a 6 sided box with some reinforement and a large hole in the bottom for the drain and faucet.  Pretty simple construction, just a lot of attention to get the joints flush so the paint looked good.  

John.

Now that's something I don't see every day!  Pretty cool.

So is the MDF top a big chunk of MDF glued up or is just the top layer solid and the layers underneath are hollowed out?

Did you treat the MDF edges with anything like joint compound to make them that smooth or just sandpaper and paint?
I really like that, nice design/execution.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The top is pretty much a hollow, 6 sided box. I added the bump out on the front as another 3 sided unit, screwed to the box from the inside. The joints are just glued with no biscuits, etc.

I didn't fill the end grain. Two coats of primer and the first top coat did it, so the second coat of paint flowed out nicely and dried to the same sheen as the rest.

The style is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm tired of brown cabinets. With the gray bamboo floor this color scheme looked good to us. My coming kitchen refresh is going to be something along these lines, too.

Thanks for looking.

John
Nice painted work, nice install.

No base installed in the door opening because.....?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

John