Two chairs from one tree
A good size cherry tree came down in the woods behind my house so I figured I should make something from it. Cherry is not known as a chairmaking wood and it does not split or shave as well as oak, hickory or ash.  But these two post and rung chairs turned out nice. Both are from plans by chairmaker Brian Boggs. Both have hickory bark seats and a clear oil and varnish finish. Made almost totally with hand tools. I still have enough wood for several more chairs. Thanks for looking.
[Image: 36879106915_64f75d1dd9_c.jpg]
(08-28-2017, 06:34 PM)Tom Wiarda Wrote: A good size cherry tree came down in the woods behind my house so I figured I should make something from it. Cherry is not known as a chairmaking wood and it does not split or shave as well as oak, hickory or ash.  But these two post and rung chairs turned out nice. Both are from plans by chairmaker Brian Boggs. Both have hickory bark seats and a clear oil and varnish finish. Made almost totally with hand tools. I still have enough wood for several more chairs. Thanks for looking.
[Image: 36879106915_64f75d1dd9_c.jpg]

Chairmaking wood or not they turned out very nice. Still, cherry is about my favorite wood.

Great job!
Tom,  Kudos on using the local tree and also for the beautiful chairs.  Nicely done.  Nothing but compliments here.  Thanks for posting such inspirational work.
Wow, beautiful chairs.
(08-29-2017, 07:55 AM)GNP Wrote: Wow, beautiful chairs.

Where'd you find the plans?  Is it from a book?
Those are two very nice chairs.
Wish I had a cherry tree fall in my backyard 
Yes
How long did it take you to make them?
Great looking chairs. I love it when people use good wood in a good way.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the kind words. The plans for the larger rocker were in Fine Woodworking September, 1989. The smaller chair plans were in Woodwork Magazine Winter, 1991. I am not sure if this magazine is still around.
I made the smaller chair late last year but did not have the bark to finish the seat until now. The larger one was started in the spring and I worked on it along with some other projects. I do not work very fast. The tree came down in an inaccessible part of my woods so the pieces were rough split there and carried up to my shop. Much of the wood was not straight grained so there was a lot of waste. The rockers were cut from dimensional lumber and not split fron the tree.
This is the 3rd version of the larger rocker I have made. The other two are in walnut and red oak. It is the second one of the smaller chair I have made.
Really nice work. It is double fun using wood you salvaged/harvested yourself.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Adding my admiration!
Ag