Moving a Jointer Down Stairs - Suggestions?
I have the opportunity to pick up a nice, used 8" JJ-BCS Jet jointer. I'll take the bed assembly off the base to load it, and I'll be able to get the base into my basement shop just fine. The problem I have is, how do I get the 6' long bed down a steeper than normal set of split-level stairs into my basement? It's likely I'll have to do this by myself and I can't see any good way to do it without breaking either the beds or me.

I don't have anywhere to attach my come-along to in the house, and I certainly can't carry the beds by myself. Are the tables easy enough to remove and replace on the bed assembly, or would I be setting myself up for an alignment headache by removing them? Anyone have any suggestions?
Jason

(08-28-2017, 07:10 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I have the opportunity to pick up a nice, used 8" JJ-BCS Jet jointer. I'll take the bed assembly off the base to load it, and I'll be able to get the base into my basement shop just fine. The problem I have is, how do I get the 6' long bed down a steeper than normal set of split-level stairs into my basement? It's likely I'll have to do this by myself and I can't see any good way to do it without breaking either the beds or me.

I don't have anywhere to attach my come-along to in the house, and I certainly can't carry the beds by myself. Are the tables easy enough to remove and replace on the bed assembly, or would I be setting myself up for an alignment headache by removing them? Anyone have any suggestions?

Remove the fence, etc, anything to lighten the load.  Get a refrigerator dolly and secure it to that many times.  Then you should be able to maneuver it pretty well, but I would find someone to help.  I've done it myself, but I was younger and more foolish then.  You will probably need help getting it on the dolly and then on the stand.
(08-28-2017, 07:10 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I have the opportunity to pick up a nice, used 8" JJ-BCS Jet jointer. I'll take the bed assembly off the base to load it, and I'll be able to get the base into my basement shop just fine. The problem I have is, how do I get the 6' long bed down a steeper than normal set of split-level stairs into my basement? It's likely I'll have to do this by myself and I can't see any good way to do it without breaking either the beds or me.

I've never done it, but I would think you could take the tables off the base assembly w/o difficulty or problems once you reinstall them.  I did just that on my much larger MiniMax J/P and it wasn't all that hard.  Each table should be light enough to carry and reinstall w/o help.  Taking everything apart will give you a chance to find any hidden problems and hopefully just clean and lube everything when you reassemble it. 

John
Don't know the stair layout, but if you can do it,  I would buy some 1/2 inch or 3/4 plywood and rip it wider than the tables, and put them on the stairs and put them the table on the plywood and slide it down the stairs.   if you have trouble lifting the tables back on,   think about using the tables as a lever, lift one end up and rest it on something sturdy, then lift up the other end and rest it on something sturdy.  I just had to lift something a little heavy, and used alternating stacks of cribbing to move it into place.
Why couldn't you lay a 2x6 or so across the door opening to use as a brace for a rope to lower it. A sled of ply and a second person would be a good idea.
I've been party to using the lightened load, a refrigerator dolly, a person to hold onto the dolly at the top, and a person to keep it from just running away at the bottom. They go down easily, and without any drama. I'm 63 and not nearly as strong as I once was, and my last experience was only a few months ago. A Delta DJ-20, the older ones went around 540# or so. Those dollies really do the work, you just guide, and keep it from running off. If you don't own a good one, rental places only get about 20 bux for 4 hours, and they have the good ones, no HF junk.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
My vote is for a refrigerator dolly.  Only as last resort, remove the tables.  I did that once.  NEVER again!!  It was a B--- Kitty get the tables co-plained.
Refrigerator Dolly and hire a schoolboy to help. If you don't know a schoolboy go to the local high school and inquire at front desk. (It will help if they put you in touch with the football coach.)

Is through a basement window an option?
Hire a moving company that is insured. 2 or 3 big strong people will come do it with the right equipment for about $80.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.