Moving a Jointer Down Stairs - Suggestions?
I moved mine down by myself - but it was still in the box. Just got behind it on the stairs and guided it down. You could do the same fasten it to a sled of some type (something that will not tear up your stairs). I just go on my knees and braced as it slid step by step. My basement stairs are pretty steep and it was not a big deal.

To BloomingontMike's point I paid 2 Men and a Truck to move my table saw into the basement - $100 for the 20min it took the 3 of them AND they padded the hand rails, doorframes etc...well worth not moving THAT myself.
I don't see how you would put one on an appliance dolly. Did you guys stand it one end of the tables? I think the sled made of 2x stock and bolted to the bottom of the bed assembly and then slid down the stairs would work and probably be the way I'd try it. That is, if it's a straight shot. If there's a 90˚ turn in the stair well (split level stairs?) I'm fairly certain it wouldn't work. Taking the tables off would be a worse case scenario for me (not other option). I have that jointer, and I think the total weight is a little less than 400#....so if you take the bed assembly off the stand (call that 75# with motor) and the fence/fence bracket (another 35-40#) you might wind up with a piece to move that's somewhat less than 300#. At least that's a little more manageable than the whole unit.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I helped move a milling machine and surface grinder into a basement once.  They probably are going to be down there forever.  The owner hired a moving company to do a lot of it.  Also moved a 9" metal lathe into the same basement later with just the two of us.  Shouldn't be that hard to do with a jointer.  I don't remember how many people it took to move my jointer, but it wasn't that bad. I like the idea of hiring help.

We took everything apart that we could on the big machines and the bases were winched down the steps.
(08-28-2017, 07:10 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I don't have anywhere to attach my come-along to in the house, and I certainly can't carry the beds by myself. 

I only have three pieces of advice having BTDT:

1. get help, solo is not the way to go here.

2. if you are determined to do it alone, you've got studs in a wall at the top of the stairs somewhere, drill a hole and screw in a hook to attach the comealong, repair the drywall later, fashion a ramp and lower it down.

3.  refer back to #1, get help.  It ain't worth getting injured over this.  8" jointers are pretty heavy.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-29-2017, 02:36 PM)Admiral Wrote: I only have three pieces of advice having BTDT:

1. get help, solo is not the way to go here.

2. if you are determined to do it alone, you've got studs in a wall at the top of the stairs somewhere, drill a hole and screw in a hook to attach the comealong, repair the drywall later, fashion a ramp and lower it down.

3.  refer back to #1, get help.  It ain't worth getting injured over this.  8" jointers are pretty heavy.

I get a pictured video of the wall stud coming loose, popping the drywall out with water pipes and wiring, Jason sliding down the stairs with the jointer following after him, and just when he thinks he survived, the stud flies down the stairs and sticks in the wall next to him, but then the electrified water comes flooding down the stairs as he scrambles to get out from behind the jointer. 
  Probably would never happen but it would make a great movie scene.  
Laugh

I'll mention this again because I have done it!
  Bolt a 2x6 or whatever you have bigger across the door opening (no loose knots or cracks) just higher than the jointer. Attach a large eye bolt to the 2x6 (The bolt type- not the wood threaded type- and angle it to the load to help prevent twist), loop your rope twice through the eye bolt and send the jointer downstairs on a sled. Two people and 3-4 minutes.
 I chose a sled of rough ply to have some friction instead of wheels in case something went wrong. You cannot make a mistake on tying the straps on the jointer where they can slip or hang up on anything. Have an "out" in case something goes wrong!
 Another option on help: Have a neighbor you don't like on the receiving end.
Big Grin
Don't forget, it'll have to come back up eventually....

Figure out how to take it apart. I moved a DJ 20 out of a basement shop to Hawaii. I removed both tables, the fence and the base. I blocked the motor so it would not bend its mount if the base was bounced. I did all this by myself.
Side benefit to this is you really learn how your tools are put together which makes repairs easier for you.
VH07V  
I covered my steps with plywood and used an electric winch to lower all my tools into my shop. I use the same method to pull out my furniture after I build it. Just for reference my jointer weighs about 1400 lbs. Your jointer should be light enough that you could just use a block and tackle and a 2x6 across a door.

photo IMG_0939_zps8435b7e4.jpg

photo IMG_0938_zps4608a885.jpg
(08-29-2017, 03:19 PM)Odaddo Wrote:  I get a pictured video of the wall stud coming loose, popping the drywall out with water pipes and wiring, Jason sliding down the stairs with the jointer following after him, and just when he thinks he survived, the stud flies down the stairs and sticks in the wall next to him, but then the electrified water comes flooding down the stairs as he scrambles to get out from behind the jointer. 
  Probably would never happen but it would make a great movie scene.  
Laugh

I'll mention this again because I have done it!
  Bolt a 2x6 or whatever you have bigger across the door opening (no loose knots or cracks) just higher than the jointer. Attach a large eye bolt to the 2x6 (The bolt type- not the wood threaded type- and angle it to the load to help prevent twist), loop your rope twice through the eye bolt and send the jointer downstairs on a sled. Two people and 3-4 minutes.
 I chose a sled of rough ply to have some friction instead of wheels in case something went wrong. You cannot make a mistake on tying the straps on the jointer where they can slip or hang up on anything. Have an "out" in case something goes wrong!
 Another option on help: Have a neighbor you don't like on the receiving end.
Big Grin
Good point.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
FWIW:  I took apart an Oliver 8" (base/motor & fence) but left the tables together (about 350lbs.)  I bolted the body to a 2x12 and lifted/slid it down the stairs with two people.  Cut handles in the 2x12 for comfortable grab & carry points.  Far easier than I made it out to be.  Could have also used the 2x12 to attach to an appliance dolly but that was more work.

Make sure those stair stringers are reinforced...
(08-28-2017, 07:10 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I have the opportunity to pick up a nice, used 8" JJ-BCS Jet jointer. I'll take the bed assembly off the base to load it, and I'll be able to get the base into my basement shop just fine. The problem I have is, how do I get the 6' long bed down a steeper than normal set of split-level stairs into my basement? It's likely I'll have to do this by myself and I can't see any good way to do it without breaking either the beds or me.

I don't have anywhere to attach my come-along to in the house, and I certainly can't carry the beds by myself. Are the tables easy enough to remove and replace on the bed assembly, or would I be setting myself up for an alignment headache by removing them? Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know this machine exactly but if it is like the powermatic of the same style it has handles for lifting built into it, the base and motor are a lot of the weight.  Don't let the move stop you from getting it as it is pretty manageable as you aren't lifting all the weight at once.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.