Stanley pocket price guides
(08-31-2017, 08:13 PM)Bentley Wrote: No, the Ohio river flooded many years ago and he closed up his store in Marietta soon after. I don't think he even lives in Ohio anymore, but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure some fellows here remember Martin Donnelly's catalogs..They were first printed in Black and White, then later in color....The photos were really excellent and his tool descriptions were outstanding!!!
Martin could sell ice to the eskimos!!! I think I still have one of his catalogs someplace....His catalog and auction commanded high prices..sometimes over the moon!!!!!.. The catalog itself sold for 25 bucks! I have mentioned this before but a Chaplin #1 that I had previously owned, sold in his online auction for $26,500....Unfortunately, I didn't own it at the time..It had passed through several hands by the time of the auction...It's probably hiding in someone's bank vault right now!!!!
Big Grin
That was the best 20 bucks I ever spent!!!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I use his catalogs as research when I buy a tool I've never seen before. I also attend his auctions in Indy every once in awhile. The thing about his auctions is that he charges a 15% buyer premium and sales tax (if you don't have a vendors license). So that $100 winning bid ends up costing you $122.00 when you go to pay. It adds up quick.
(09-01-2017, 02:48 PM)Bentley Wrote: I use his catalogs as research when I buy a tool I've never seen before. I also attend his auctions in Indy every once in awhile. The thing about his auctions is that he charges a 15% buyer premium and sales tax (if you don't have a vendors license). So that $100 winning bid ends up costing you $122.00 when you go to pay. It adds up quick.
Yep...I call it a "buyer's PENALTY"....
Angry
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I got the latest Gristmill (Mid West Tool Collectors Association magazine) today and Walter has a 1/4 page add stating he is taking preorders for a 2017 revision of his guide.

You can see it at his website, stanleytoolsbook.com
(09-05-2017, 07:54 PM)WJB Wrote: I got the latest Gristmill (Mid West Tool Collectors Association magazine) today and Walter has a 1/4 page add stating he is taking preorders for a 2017 revision of his guide.

You can see it at his website, stanleytoolsbook.com
WJB,

Is there an article in the Gristmill about a big Langdon Miter Box with Disston Saw? 

If so, it's the article I wrote, but I forgot to subscribe to the MWTCA ...doh!
Jack (Timberwolf) mentione Martin J. Donnelley as a sell price source, and MJD is just that: if you subscribe to his auction catalogs (4 or 5 full color catalogs per season), at $75.00, you will also receive a searchable CD listing auction sale price of tools for his previous auctions. Clarence Blanchard also used to print previous auction sale prices in his Fine Tool Journal. I haven't subscribed since Clarence sold his magazine.

Since I don't "accumulate" much that would be considered "high end", I don't pay really close attention-if I want something, I buy it, using the "pucker rule": if spincky puckers up I move on!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Bentley, It did not have that article.
(09-07-2017, 06:27 PM)WJB Wrote: Bentley,  It did not have that article.

ok thanks. Good to know.