Tankless water heater.
Got a plumber coming out next week to take a look.

We're looking at supplying 2 baths on one end and the kitchen/laundry room on the other.

Have a friend who had Rinnai gas units installed he loves them.  He strongly recommended gas over electric.

Anyone with some experiences I'd like to hear what you got.  Thx.
Mine doesn't play well with low flow shower heads. I would have to get up to see
what brand and age.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(08-31-2017, 11:52 AM)Foggy Wrote: Mine doesn't play well with low flow shower heads. I would have to get up to see
what brand and age.

Mine works fine with 1 gpm low flow shower heads.  What is the flow rate on your shower heads.

Generally takes in the range of 0.5 gpm to activate the heater.
(08-31-2017, 10:14 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Anyone with some experiences I'd like to hear what you got.  Thx.

I installed a Rheem myself a few years ago, installed cost about the same as a tank heater, but I save around 35% on my gas bill.

I am very happy with mine, would not choose to go back to a tank heater.

A few suggestions:
1. make SURE it is sized correctly for your usage.  An oversized unit will waste energy and an undersized unit will not produce enough hot water.  If you live in an area with winter weather, a 50F delta at 4.2 gpm is a typical spec for residential units, and will operate two fixtures.
2. Have bypass valves installed to facilitate cleaning
3. Buy a name brand and one rated to operate in winter weather - the coils can freeze and break due to cold air siphoning through the vent pipe.
I have a friend who also loves it.  But if you ever wanted to run a very slow stream of hot water it apparently does not work.  It needs a certain level of flow for the heater to kick on.  

Maybe the newer ones can do this, but his could not.  He said it was not a major concern.  A major concern was his wife and daughter complaining that the hot water ran out in their 45 minute shower.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-31-2017, 03:40 PM)Cooler Wrote: A major concern was his wife and daughter complaining that the hot water ran out in their 45 minute shower.

That sounds kinda hot.*

*Provided the daughter is of-age and they're both smoking hot.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(08-31-2017, 10:14 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Got a plumber coming out next week to take a look.

We're looking at supplying 2 baths on one end and the kitchen/laundry room on the other.

Have a friend who had Rinnai gas units installed he loves them.  He strongly recommended gas over electric.

Anyone with some experiences I'd like to hear what you got.  Thx.

Contact Blackhat,he will give you good advise.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I have a Navien propane unit installed since 2009. I would not go any other way. 

It has a recirculation pump built in, and we ran a return line from the furthest point possible to allow the hot water to circulate during programmed times. I have hot water at any faucet in about 10seconds. When the recirc is off, it takes nearly a minute or more but it is endless after that.

Propane usage is minimal.

Jimmy
For those having trouble with low flow issues - Trigger flow is usually higher than minimum flow. If you want a low flow rate, turn the tap on high for a couple seconds and then dial it back. For a low flow shower, start the shower and then turn the sink hot tap on for a few seconds or start the tap first, start the shower and then close the tap. 
Low flow rates have a very minimal effect on efficiency, less than one percent across the full flow capacity of the unit. 
Watch the specs, a unit that is rated to do 6 gallons at a 40 degree rise is not going to meet that flow if you want/need a 70 or 89 degree rise. 
You need to have fairly clean water, high TDS or calcium equivalent levels will reduce the life span and increase maintenance costs. 
Time programmable recirc is usually a good option. 
I have a Navien in my home. Rinnai seems ok.
Electric is a nonstarter in my opinion.  Costs to install adequate size units and the maintenance issues are not worth it. 
Any specific questions, ask away.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I replaced an oil furnace with a Bosch gas furnace which also has a tank less water heater (free parts and repair for 5 years).  The gas furnace hangs on our garage wall and is small.  The propane tanks are outside. 

Space was  gained by losing two oil tanks and a large water heater.  My basement woodworking shop was fitted with a ceiling Modine Heater off the valve that once ran the water heater tank.  Two years ago I measured a one year cost of $1800 to heat my 3200 square foot house plus my basement shop/garage (about 2000 sq ft).

We recently added a GE Profile gas kitchen range.  Cost to run it was (May 5 to Sept 1) $179.64.  This includes hot water, range, and perhaps a bit of heat as it was a cool spring. 

Propane varies widely in price from transportation depending on where you live in our fine country.  Piped in gas would likely cost less. You might consider replacing your furnace...I do not think it was mentioned what it was.  Only my wife an I are left here and we can keep areas of the house cool.  The original gas furnace installation and Modine cost about $8600. I am quite pleased.  Some things really do pay for themselves
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)