Router Collet Adapter - Seeking advice on use
Hey Friends,

I'm using a Triton 3-1/4 HP TRA001 router mounted in a router table.  Using the Leigh 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer to use the 8mm Leigh router bits that work with the Leigh RTJ400 dovetail jig.

Using this setup today, it apparently slipped slightly down during use and cut a lower height than intended.  No harm done, as I caught it time, but now I'm wondering if there's some trick to using collet reducers?  I thought I had it tightened down with plenty of force, but I don't want to over-tighten either.  

Do any of you have some tips in using using collet reducers?  Is there a trick in aligning the adapter slot openings to the main collet openings?  Also, I presume the adapter should seat all the way down onto the main collet (there's a ridge/collar on the reducer top end) or should it sit slightly above the main collet?

Also, if any of you have a good source for the standard Triton 8mm collet that would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave
I just received this from the Leigh jig folks:

"The collet reducer has several shallow machined slots and one slot that goes completely through. The only “trick” is to line up the through slot on the collet reducer with a similar slot on the router collet. Most collets have a series of slots to allow compression. The through slot on the collet reducer should be lined up with the largest slot."

Will try this method next chance I get.
A few thoughts: 

First, make sure everything is clean inside and out. Any debris or build up on the collet, reducer or inside the router shaft is an issue. (Bit shank too)

Second, a light coat of wax on the mating surfaces allows for better tightening. This was proven in the CNC industry some years back. Bare metal surfaces can bind up without being fully tight, a light coat of wax can overcome the friction and help insure proper tightness.

Third, collets are made from spring steel. The heating and cooling that occurs during the routing process causes them to loose their "temper" over time. If you use your router a lot, you should replace the collet every year, less often if you don't use it as much.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Handi...

Thanks for these tips.  I will try them out.  The main collet is fairly new with low usage, but the fatigue issue makes sense over time.

Cheers,
Dave
I had always gone with fully seat a collet reducer, pull a bit just slightly off the bottom of the collet. So far no flying objects. Nothing stuck and irretrievable either
Big eek  
Big eek

If someone reading this says hmmmmmmm I looked it up, and that looks like a nice router. They have less than 30 of them, but that is the sale price I paid maybe 9 years ago for my first 3 1/4 hp Triton
Big Grin

No association, was just looking to see if there was something closer/cheaper. A few years ago getting an 8MM collet was a local thing, WoodCraft had them. Somebody beside Lee Valley sold an 8MM DT bit, and a few others, though not sure why, but it seems to me there was a craze to get 8MM collets for Bosch Colts? I don't know if they are Unicorns, or actually exist. I circumvent this by only getting infatuated with 1/4" and 1/2" bits
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I hate those split sleeves, and always try to avoid them. But when I'm forced to use one, I always did what you described...line the through slot up in the collet. I wasn't smart enough to figure that out, I picked that tip up on one of these forums. I have the small Triton (MOF001) and have searched quite a bit for an 8mm collet as well as a 3/8" one and found nada.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-02-2017, 06:02 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I hate those split sleeves, and always try to avoid them. But when I'm forced to use one, I always did what you described...line the through slot up in the collet. I wasn't smart enough to figure that out, I picked that tip up on one of these forums. I have the small Triton (MOF001) and have searched quite a bit for an 8mm collet as well as a 3/8" one and found nada.

Yeah, my searching across eBay and the internet doesn't yield much for the 8mm collet in the US.  The UK has sources, but shipping probably would be quite a bit.

Amazon lists one for 72.50 plus shipping. Yikes.
(09-02-2017, 02:44 PM)djcook50 Wrote: Yeah, my searching across eBay and the internet doesn't yield much for the 8mm collet in the US.  The UK has sources, but shipping probably would be quite a bit.

Amazon lists one for 72.50 plus shipping.  Yikes.

Whiteside?
https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/coll...cts/6400x8

I don't know if that is universal and will fit your router or not.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(09-02-2017, 06:29 PM)Cecil Wrote: Whiteside?
https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/coll...cts/6400x8

I don't know if that is universal and will fit your router or not.

Cecil, I have the 8mm reducer.  Looking for the OEM Triton 8mm standard collet.  Didn't see a regular collet in the link.  Thanks though.