Satin finish too glossy
Hey Everybody, Longtime wood worker here. I was hoping to get some input on what to do about a finishing problem that I'm encountering now. I've stripped and restained an antique dining set and buffet. I'm in the process now of putting on the new coats of Arm R Seal Satin finish. I applied a few coats of this satin finish over two coats of Min Wax stain.( Dry time for the stain was approximately two days.) When it dries, the  Satin coat is almost gloss-like. I went back over it with steel wool and applied a new coat but the same thing happens again, Gloss-like shine. I've used Arm R Seal Satin in the past and haven't had this type of problem. Am I doing something wrong or incorrect? Hoping to get some answers, Thanks guys, Dan
No idea why it's doing that, but a solution may be to use either automotive polishing compound or rubbing compound to soften the gloss. I'm not referring to wax products, but rather the "scratch remover" type things like this one. They have no silicon in them, just a mild abrasive in a paste. Rubbing compound is more coarse so choose accordingly. I keep a can of each in the shop just for that. One other thing, the varnish should be fairly well cured to rub it out. I did have one though thought I'm sure you are on top of this. Most questions about the sheen being too glossy with a satin trace back to the finish not being stirred enough, or frequently stirred during use. I'm sure you did so, but just wanted to mention it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Are you stirring (not shaking) it well before applying?

The flatteners to produce a satin finish settle to the bottom of the can.

Stirring re-suspends them so that they are part of the emulsion.

If this is not the case, though highly unlikely, perhaps the can is labelled incorrectly.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(09-02-2017, 06:16 AM)barnowl Wrote: Are you stirring (not shaking) it well before applying?

The flatteners to produce a satin finish settle to the bottom of the can.

Stirring re-suspends them so that they are part of the emulsion.

This is what happened to me.
I stir .. AND shake as violently as I can to get the flatting agent in suspension .. then, I thin it drastically,, and finally, use it as a wipe-on finish.   You will never get any bubbles using this method, although it will take many coats to get a finish to build.

(09-02-2017, 04:38 PM)Bøb Wrote: I stir .. AND shake as violently as I can to get the flatting agent in suspension .. then, I thin it drastically,, and finally, use it as a wipe-on finish.   You will never get any bubbles using this method, although it will take many coats to get a finish to build.
I stir only.  I don't like to introduce air bubbles in the finish.  On oil based finishes that dry slowly it is less of a problem, but on  waterbased products it might be.  Stirring with a paint stirrer works fine for re-introducing the flattenning agents (ground mica I believe), but the stirrer has to scrape  the bottom of the can to get at the settled mica.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.