need some deck stain brand advice
Need to stain the deck. Half of the deck is new, half is about ten years old. The older part was coated with an oil stain so I can stain right over the old after a good cleaning. To help blend new/old I'm going semi-solid oil based stain. The solids are all like paint and not a penetrating stain.

Trying to read online about stains and brands is torture. Can anyone recommend a brand out there? I've used Cabot before with decent results but recent reviews are not great. One site out there relaly likes Clark Armstrong and TWP but I can't tell if they are affiliated. Anyone have any first hand experience with Oil Based products that you would recommend hands down?
Anyone got experience?
I have a mahogany deck about 20 years old.   It is on the south side of the house here in SE Mass, and gets a lot of sun. I have used a variety of stains/sealers including Australian Timber Oil, California Storm Stain, Benj. Moore Arborcoat, and Sikkens CDR.  None lasts more than 2 years.  My preference is the Sikkens, and I am in the process of putting on a coat this weekend.  My prep is a good mopping with a TSP solution, rinse, let dry for at least 24 hours.  I've tried several application methods and stick with the laborious method of brushing it on by hand.  Any other technique I've tried left inconsistent results.  I only apply late in the day when the surface is in the shade, or on a day with more clouds than sun.  Good luck. YMMV
Ooops, that's Sikkens SRD.  My error...
Ready seal is my go to for outside stain. Sikkins is good if it's available where you are.
Readyseal would be my go to as well based on the personal experience of some friends. However, I have half old (brown)and half new and Readyseal only comes in transparent. I'm hoping semi transparent blends the old and new beyter
(09-10-2017, 05:28 PM)ronwhit Wrote: Ooops, that's Sikkens SRD.  My error...

Very good. but expensive
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.