Playing Card Trays - with pics
My sister asked for a couple projects that I'm finally getting around to working on. One of them is a tray to keep wayward playing cards under control - well, three of'em actually... My parents had a plastic one when I was a kid, so I used that as the starting point.

I used 5/16" stock just to give me a little more glue surface on the corners in conjunction with splines so they (hopefully...) won't fall apart during a spirited game. The divider is 1/4". After they were glued-up, I made a couple jigs for routing the sides, which I also used as a template to draw lines for rough cutting.

[Image: 6r1SIbF.jpg]

[Image: DFIt6OD.jpg]

[Image: z5ZVPwW.jpg]

Once they were cut close to the layout lines I used the jigs to smooth everything up on the router table.

[Image: VF4QsoT.jpg]

[Image: YDjvAnn.jpg]

[Image: oiZDlR8.jpg]

This worked great, but as you can see there was a little burning...

[Image: VOUCZFo.jpg]

I didn't particularly feel like hand sanding all of these, and the sleeves on my oscillating spindle sander were too long. What I needed was a way to shorten the spindle, and this is what I came up with

[Image: 8QN2gvg.jpg]

It worked perfectly!
Big Grin I was even more impressed that the dust collection worked almost better than the regular top... 
Yes

It's made with a 3/4" laminated plywood top with a total height of ~2 1/2". The 3 1/2" hole matches the existing table, and I routed a matching 3/8" rabbet in order to use the inserts...

[Image: a2rH2jC.jpg]

Like I said, it worked great!

[Image: GuyQG3O.jpg]

Anyway, they turned out pretty good, I think. Two cherry, two boxelder, and one spalted maple - which is the one I'm keeping...A little adhesive backed felt from a craft store and I called them finished...
Winkgrin 

[Image: r8g9QF5.jpg]

Thanks for lookin'!
Yes As always, questions and comments are always welcomed!
Winkgrin
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Nice work Dave, are they just for card storage or is there a game you play from them? I figure a deck per half?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-02-2017, 10:49 PM)Steve N Wrote: Nice work Dave, are they just for card storage or is there a game you play from them? I figure a deck per half?

Thanks, Steve! Typically one side is to draw from and the other is for the discards. 

Our "family" game is progressive rummy. You need at least two decks with four people playing, and we've had as many as 8 people sitting around the table requiring up to five decks.
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Nice, but your clever trick on the spindle sander is really neat. I'll have to file that way somehow for possible future use.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Love seeing other fo1k's jigs and fixtures! 
Great work on the trays!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Thanks, Guys!
Big Grin

Quote:Love seeing other fo1k's jigs and fixtures! 

Me, too, Ralph! I get a lot of inspiration from what I see on these pages... [Image: yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif]