stanley tape measure accuracy
Yesterday I needed to cut some 1 1/2 x 25 x 3/4 stiles.  I pulled out my Stanley 16 ft tape measure and measured 25 inches and marked the wood from one end. Since I was going to be making a lot of these I wanted to be very sure that they were cut accurately so I checked it against two metal rulers and found that although both metal rulers (one an old carpenter's square and the other a new machinist's square) and found that although both agreed that 25 inches was 25 inches, neither agreed with the Stanley tape measure.  The steel rules were consistently about 1/6 more than the tape measure. I then picked up another steel ruler, this one only 18 inches long and measured 18 inches plus 7 inches.  This resulted in the same mark as the other metal rules. 

Am I wrong in expect less than 1/16 accuracy over 25 inches of the Stanley tape measure?  FWIW, I checked it with a 25 ft Stanley tape measure and it measured the same as the 16 ft tape measure. 

I ended up using the mark from the metal rule and then cut all 16 of these stiles to the same length using a stop-block.  It was more important that they all be the same than that they be exactly 25 inches.  Yet, 1/16 in 25 inches means a lot when you are trying to join multiple pieces together squarely. 

Any thoughts by other woodworkers?  Is it just Stanley or was I expecting too much from a tape measure?

Vern
(09-03-2017, 10:44 AM)vernonls Wrote: Any thoughts by other woodworkers?  Is it just Stanley or was I expecting too much from a tape measure?

Vern

You are expecting too much from a tape measure.  When I need extreme accuracy from a tape measure, I start at the 1" mark and adjust accordingly; otherwise, I use a scale, or take direct transfer measurements with trammels or an inside beam (these are nice to have:  http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...3513,43553 ).  Otherwise, when I am in a short term project, I mark ONE of my tape measures with blue tape and consistently use that one for all measurements and any errors zero out.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-03-2017, 10:44 AM)vernonls Wrote: Any thoughts by other woodworkers?  Is it just Stanley or was I expecting too much from a tape measure?

Vern

A few years ago I tested my Stanley 16 footer. I cut a wooden block precisely 6 inches long (as measured by a set of calipers) and compared it to my trusted Stanley. It was off by 1/32".

I checked the other tape measures in my shop and found most were off by a tiny fraction all except my FastCap tapes. They were right on.

Nowadays if my project has to be consistent with someone else's work, I use one of the FastCaps.

Mike
You wonder since the Stanley's are made for construction use they are a bit off since accuracy isn't that important.

It's probably worth getting a good one and always use the good one. It's good you noticed since you may switch up tapes and wouldn't notice both being a hair off from each other.

I use a Starret 16 ft and it's dead on.
Don
I use Johnson tapes. Order 3 or 6, they will all match each other, and align with a steel ruler.

I've tried all the others, and usually had to adjust the ends.

I ordered 6 fastcaps one time, and I think 2 of them matched each other.

As for Stanley,......
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-03-2017, 01:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I use Johnson tapes. Order 3 or 6, they will all match each other, and align with a steel ruler.

I've tried all the others, and usually had to adjust the ends.

I ordered 6 fastcaps one time, and I think 2 of them matched each other.

As for Stanley,......
Laugh

I have a very simple rule....NEVER, EVER, mix tapes.    Use the same tape through out the project, period.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Been using a Komelon Self lock 16'  tape.   I just checked it against a Stanley Power lock, 25'....@ 6"..they read the same
Rolleyes

The 25' is more for rough cutting things down to get them into the shop.
Cool    Used to use one all the time doing concrete form work..
Uhoh

I use the Komelon more to mark a length, enough I can then cut a piece close to finish length,  then a mitre box to trim as needed...
Winkgrin
(09-03-2017, 07:37 PM)bandit571 Wrote: I have a very simple rule....NEVER, EVER, mix tapes.    Use the same tape through out the project, period.

So there's 2 guys on the same project.
Guy in the south end of the building measures, throws the tape 40' to his helper who cuts the board, tosses it back 40' so the other can measure something else.
Ck.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-03-2017, 11:14 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So there's 2 guys on the same project.
Guy in the south end of the building measures, throws the tape 40' to his helper who cuts the board, tosses it back 40' so the other can measure something else.
Ck.
Winkgrin

BTDT.......
(09-03-2017, 11:14 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So there's 2 guys on the same project.
Ck.
Winkgrin

Reminds me when I was helping build three Habitat houses down in Charlotte, I call down a measurement and the board comes back 1/4" short, I comment on the short cut, the guy says just put a few more nails in it, I respond "I build furniture, I work in 64ths" and we all laugh, but his cuts were more accurate after that.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis