Which trim bit to choose for mortising door hinges?
Putting in some new solid doors throughout the house.  The hinges I want to use have rounded corners with a 5/8 radius:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z108/ref...B00F57SJAG

I am confused what trim bit to use.  Most of the time I use a 1/2 inch diameter trim bit.  I guess that produces a 1/4 radius at the corners?

(usually I make a jig out of pine)

Can someone suggest the appropriate trim bit to use?
This is the one I have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P4...UTF8&psc=1
Works well.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
We always us a 1/2 inch straight bit for doors that gives you the correct radius and doesn't take long.
This is the style I use with a 1/2" thick pattern. Mine are made by Ocemco.

[Image: s-l300.jpg]
Wood is good. 
(09-04-2017, 02:13 AM)Steve Soldo Wrote: Putting in some new solid doors throughout the house.  The hinges I want to use have rounded corners with a 5/8 radius:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z108/ref...B00F57SJAG

I am confused what trim bit to use.  Most of the time I use a 1/2 inch diameter trim bit.  I guess that produces a 1/4 radius at the corners?

(usually I make a jig out of pine)

Can someone suggest the appropriate trim bit to use?

you will need a 1 1/4" diameter bit  like this one you will also need an appropriate bushing or even a top bearing bit to accomplish the proper cuts 

or you can make your own template to cut the pockets with that has the proper radius corners then any top bearing bit would work 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Whiteside makes one too, you should be able to add a bearing and collar to it.

https://www.holbren.com/Whiteside_Machine_1304
You don't add a bearing and collar to a router bit. You buy one that is setup for following a pattern. Use the proper diameter to produce the same radius as the hinge (usually 1/4" radius/1/2" diameter).
Wood is good. 
(09-06-2017, 10:07 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: You don't add a bearing and collar to a router bit. You buy one that is setup for following a pattern. Use the proper diameter to produce the same radius as the hinge (usually 1/4" radius/1/2" diameter).

it should be noted once again the radius of the hinges he is choosing is 5/8" not 1/4" which seems to be what people are pointing him toward. 

it will not work correctly to use a 1/4" radius (1/2" diameter) bit to make a 5/8" radius unless the template is custom made. 

HTH
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-06-2017, 10:52 AM)JGrout Wrote: it should be noted once again the radius of the hinges he is choosing is 5/8" not 1/4" which seems to be what people are pointing him toward. 

it will not work correctly to use a 1/4" radius (1/2" diameter) bit to make a 5/8" radius unless the template is custom made. 

HTH

Yes that is correct.  It is easier to make a rectangular template and use the appropriate diameter router bit.  1/2 inch template bits are easy to find, we all have them.  But not suitable for 5/8 radius corners.

Since posting this, I have found many 1 1/4 inch diameter bits (CMT, Whiteside and Freud).  So will need the appropriate bushing to use, effectively turning this into a "trim bit".

Alternatively, could get square cornered hinges, use the 1/2 template bit, and chisel out the corners.

I didn't mean for this to be so complicated...
I missed the 5/8" radius (which seems odd). Alternatively you could get 1/2" radius hinges or plain hinges and radius to 1/2" on a belt/disc sander. Also the pattern could easily contain the 5/8" radius so the 1/2" follower bit would produce 5?8" radius.
Wood is good.