Sometimes you are too stupid to be a woodworker.
So the other day I was out in the workshop and was in need of cutting a piece of wood at a 45* angle.  I tried to tilt my saw blade and the carriage did not want to move.  So I packed it in of the day and said to myself that sometime in the future I would need to investigate why it the carriage was not tilting.

Today was that day.  I started tearing apart my Hitachi 10" table saw to get to the spiral cams and trunions the saw blade tilts upon. I had to tip it on its top after pulling the fence guides off.  Then the legs came off as well as the dust port.  So, now basically I have a intact table saw upside down and still wondering why the blade won't tilt.

Next is a few sprays of rust remover, because I suspected the trunions had rusted while sitting in my shop for a while.  That did not work so I scratched my head and wondered why oh why will the saw not tilt.

Then in a eureka moment, I saw on the front of the saw base a nut attached to a long rod which runs back to the trunion housing.  Woooooops.  I had forgotten that there was a nut which has an arm attached to it that locks the saw tilting in place.  I had forgot to release that nut and thus the trunions would not release.  CRAP.  Sometimes just thinking a process through would be more helpful than jumping into a project.

But on the bright side, I have gotten to tune up my table saw.  I sanded the table top, aligned the fence supports, cleaned the interior, and flattened the table top.

So, all in all, a good learning experience and a quick tune up for a good table saw.
I have absolutely, never (ever) had something like that happen to me!
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-04-2017, 02:32 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I have absolutely, never (ever) had something like that happen to me!
Laugh

LOL!

I finally got a chance to work on that clock case that I started back in December....

I cut a piece for the top and it wasn't square. Crap.

I decide that the blade in the table saw isn't parallel with the slot.  Oh, well that afternoon is shot. Several hours later everything is back together.

I make another test cut.  Still isn't friggen square.

Check the Osborne EB-1.  Not square with the slot.....

Didn't even know there was an adjustment on the thing....

Now everything is line up nice and purdy.
chris

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh   You guys are sooo funny.  I have Never done anything like that, just ask my wife.
Big Grin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I haven't done anything like that, either...and never will again!
Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
The OP is just a beginner at screw-ups!!! I average several per week. In fact, I have the same TS problem he had and have been able to delay the correction for more than a month just because I am aware of my screw-up record. The result has been some creative "work-arounds".
With the blade raised through a zero clearance insert, I've tried to tilt it! Amazing how much a blade can bend and still spring back to straight.
Smile
Wood is good. 
(09-05-2017, 09:52 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: With the blade raised through a zero clearance insert, I've tried to tilt it! Amazing how much a blade can bend and still spring back to straight.
Smile

It's also amazing how much the blade can bend before it registers what the increased resistance is all about.....
I am reminded of a coworker's comment, " If you are not making mistakes, you are not working".

Sage words that have served me well while mentoring others.
And while monitoring my own output. Especially so...

Embrace error and enjoy, you will profit from it.
Ag
We have an occupancy sensor light switch in our bathroom.  This switch controls the ceiling light and there is an additional standard toggle switch to control the lights above the medicine cabinet.

It works well.  When you walk into the room, the lights turn on.  They stay on as long as you "move around".  Sometimes, when you are not moving - say sitting down for a spell, you might have to wave your arms for the lights to come on.  If you need to do some "close up" work using the medicine cabinet mirror, you might want to turn on the lights above the cabinet.  The lights will go off within 15 seconds of leaving the room.

Really handy.

Anyway - I walked into the bathroom and the lights did not come on. 

You know those occupancy sensor switches are kind of "fragile" and need to be replaced from time-to-time. 

This switch along with the toggle switch is in a duplex box.  It is kind of a pain to remove both switches (after going to the basement - two stories down) and turning off the breaker in the distribution panel). 

Of course, you will need to do this to ensure there is power to the switches, so that will require another trip to the basement.  Sometimes those breakers just get "tired" and trip themselves off.  If you do have power at the duplex switch box, it is a fairly simple matter to check continuity in the switches to make sure they are capable of controlling the flow of electricity.  You will remember your multi-meter is located in the shop/garage out back.  Yes, it is dark, so don't forget to pick up a flashlight on the way to the shop.  The good thing about having four (yes, four) multi-meters is that you can almost always find one in 15 or 20 minutes.

Naturally, when you do discover you have good power at the switch box - and that the switches do have continuity, your next step is to check the socket in the fixture.  You know, sometimes those get loose or for some other reason stop working.  You just as well stuff those switches and wires back in that box, since your problem is not there.  You do remember one of your ladders is in the basement - right?  Where is that ladder?  Oh, I remember.  It is still on location at that one job site.  Good thing there is that short "step stool" thing in the kitchen.  Lucky you saw it on the way to the basement.

When you have completed all of those steps, you might want to make sure the bulb it not burnt out.  Of course, if you want, you can just check the bulb in the first place. 

The bulbs are in the cabinet above the refrigerator.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.