What's your go-to for cutting 4"X4" posts?
Building a low deck; I have a number of posts to cut off level to the top of the joists.
I usually use a circular saw but these have limited access.
I don't own a sawzall -- never had need for one.
Is the sawzall the right tool? Easy to get a straight line cutting horizontal?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
!'ve been known use a chainsaw.  A sawmill's blade wanders and flexes too much for me.
(09-04-2017, 12:32 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Building a low deck; I have a number of posts to cut off level to the top of the joists.

Do you have a table saw?  Even if you only had a circular saw use a with a guide on all four sides it will cut all the way thru.  Kind of like a track saw.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-04-2017, 12:32 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Building a low deck; I have a number of posts to cut off level to the top of the joists.

Sawzall is probably the right tool for difficult access.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
My chainsaw is at the farm about 3 hours northwest.
I'm usually not in such a tight spot and normally do these with a circular saw.
Gary

Go to Harbor Freight or Menard's ( assuming these are options) and buy a cheap sawsall. You will use it more than you think

Sawsalls are great. But I'd use a hand saw with an aggressive tooth design. They cut faster and easier than you would think. I've cut many 4x4s with mine.
(09-04-2017, 02:20 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Sawsalls are great. But I'd use a hand saw with an aggressive tooth design. They cut faster and easier than you would think. I've cut many 4x4s with mine.

+1. Stanley Fatmax, at the Borg, if you pay attention and mark it out you can make it square.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I use a Vaughn Bear saw and can cut square but it feels like 105 outside. It's not just the heat; it's about 70 percent humidity.
I worked for about 6 hours and I'm done for the day. It's brutal out there.
Gary

Last time I had to do this I used the circular saw set to deepest cut then finished off with the hand saw. Worked great for me. Didn't take much time either.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.