What's your go-to for cutting 4"X4" posts?
(09-06-2017, 01:33 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: +1 

Although on a 4 x 4, if I could get at both sides, I believe it would cut it with a 7 1/4" blade.  

I do the skilsaw and handsaw combo on 6x6's too.  Most of the time on a ladder no less.

I cut up one (1) 6" x 6" by cutting on all four sides with my circular saw and then finishing with a hand saw.  It involved drawing guide lines and four cuts, but the handsaw only had to deal with a small rectangle about 1" square.

I think holding a circular saw horizontal on posts that are already set would be very tiring.  My Milwaukee Saw weighs a little over 10½ pounds which is very light when resting on the stock to be cut, but pretty heavy when holding it horizontally.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-06-2017, 03:09 PM)Cooler Wrote:  
I cut up one (1) 6" x 6" by cutting on all four sides with my circular saw and then finishing with a hand saw.  It involved drawing guide lines and four cuts, but the handsaw only had to deal with a small rectangle about 1" square.

I think holding a circular saw horizontal on posts that are already set would be very tiring.  My Milwaukee Saw weighs a little over 10½ pounds which is very light when resting on the stock to be cut, but pretty heavy when holding it horizontally.

Cuts like butta, use a speed square as a guide, if it furrs up the end just do a quick pass around it with a ROS and some 60 grit.

[Image: 92ae953b3720017e1597dfc6b3d4ddaa.jpg]

[Image: 980097ca-a379-4315-849f-e64f18ecba85_600.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-04-2017, 12:32 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Building a low deck; I have a number of posts to cut off level to the top of the joists.
I usually use a circular saw but these have limited access.
I don't own a sawzall -- never had need for one.
Is the sawzall the right tool? Easy to get a straight line cutting horizontal?

Ive used a cir saw with a speed square, a sawzall, and a chainsaw. Depends on the precision needed and if Im on a ladder or not. 

Chainsaw is the easiest and quickest....but on a ladder or above my waist....not enough stones to attempt. 
I just cut 15 6x6 for my fence....started with cir saw, then finished the curfs with the sawzall.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(09-06-2017, 07:16 PM)Steve N Wrote: [Image: 980097ca-a379-4315-849f-e64f18ecba85_600.jpg]

Carbide tipped sawzall blades are silly good. I bought a bunch at christmas a few years back at HD on clearence. 2 pks were like $3.99 or there about.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessorie...48-00-5221

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Handsaw-sharp, 8 pt. Crosscut. Safer, faster and more accurate.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-06-2017, 09:36 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Carbide tipped sawzall blades are silly good. I bought a bunch at christmas a few years back at HD on clearence. 2 pks were like $3.99 or there about.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessorie...48-00-5221

I think I hit the same deal, bought 12 packs, hoping for a lifetime supply
Big Grin

That cordless sawzall does more work on tree limbs than anything since I quit contracting. I have a corded one too, hardly ever use it unless someone has borrowed the cordless.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
https://youtu.be/UXIv3618-_Y
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK