Walk in bath
My brother is looking into one for his MIL who lives with them in a in-law apartment. She's almost 80 and not too steady on her feet. His wife helps her get in and out of the tub now .
He asked and all I could say is a foot or two of water, a door, a gasket, and sooner or later they'll be a flood.
Anyone have any real experience with them?
TIA
I have looked at one as lomls mom wants one. It's a decently designed door and silicone seal. What I do see is that it would use quite a bit of water to fill and you have to wait for it to drain before getting out. I don't see an issue with water leakage with the one I looked at.
You have to wait for it to fill and then wait again for it to empty more time then the actual bath
In addition to the possible leakage, and time required to fill and empty-
What happens in a couple years if she can no longer stand and step into it?
We've looked at these-transferring from a wheelchair to the seat is about impossible.
I'd consider a shower, with a decent bench-given the right bench, sliding transfer from wheelchair to bench is pretty easy.
Providing for grab bars would be easy while the walls are apart.
They also make chairs designed to be rolled into a shower. With that in mind, a curbless shower would be ideal.
When we remodel the bathroom, that is our plan.
I would guess that would also improve resell ability.
Good luck
(09-05-2017, 09:25 AM)rlnguy Wrote: ....a curbless shower would be ideal.
When we remodel the bathroom, that is our plan.
I would guess that would also improve resell ability.
Good luck

While on vacation overseas, we stayed at an AirBandB type place that had something like this.  The whole floor and part of the walls were coated with some kind of epoxy-like resin like a garage floor coating.  The total thickness on the walls was probably 1/8".  It's apparently troweled on like thinset.  It was all pitched towards a standard floor drain.  You could definitely roll a wheelchair easily into there and there was a bench attached to the wall.  The shower curtain ran on a curved track like at a hospital.
I would go with a curbless shower. My uncle had a stroke a few years ago. My aunt put in a walk-in tub, then converted it to a curbless shower because of a) eventual leak concerns and b) the time it took to fill and drain.
He's called Kohler and someone will be coming by and give him a estimate.
I've forwarded the concerns of slow filling and draining. Also if his water heater, a 40 gallon nat gas fired unit would be adequate and of course the potential leak issue.
Thanks all for your input
A hand-held shower head and a seat might be easier.  Those tubs are deep enough to drown in and they have to be removed if you want to sell the house.

A shower with this type of drain needs no step over:

[Image: Linear-Shower-Drains-Pipe.jpg]

It looks sleek, requires no door or curtain and there is no tripping point.  A seat and a couple of shower grabs on the wall make this very elder-friendly.  And it makes it very nice for when the house goes on the market.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
What was described above is a European shower in which the entire bathroom is basically a shower room and designed to drain water. The curtain helps keep the toilet and vanity from being covered. We are using these in all skilled nursing environments now as it's easier for residents to bathe.

Fiberglass inserts work well with either a small curb of an 1" or so, or even the curbless. BestBath systems make great units that are 4 pieces with overlapping and locking seals and integral seats. I just put one in my parents bathroom a year or two ago.

A tiled shower with blocking for a fold down seat or portable chair in conjunction with a shower wand that then clips to an adjustable slide would be the other best option for a home. It won't affect resale (only increase it) and still has a residential feel.

We have to design the tub units in our buildings, but they are rarely used due to the reasons mentioned above. Persons have to sit too long in the cold while it fills and empties. Even with a holding tank, it takes over a minute, and people do not like using them because it seems humiliating to them.

I design nursing homes, assisted living homes, and retirement communities; so I am quite familiar with all the options. I would be happy to talk more if you ever need to.
I was considering replacing an outdated tub with a walk in shower unit with a seat, grab bars, etc.   A very experienced local realtor said for that to not negatively impact resale,  you have to have at least one bathroom with a tub.  
Bob