Walk in bath
(09-06-2017, 08:06 AM)RobertJ25 Wrote: I was considering replacing an outdated tub with a walk in shower unit with a seat, grab bars, etc.   A very experienced local realtor said for that to not negatively impact resale,  you have to have at least one bathroom with a tub.  
Bob

That's the outdated realtor speaking. Having a walk in shower in the master these days is preferred by buyers. If you have to have your tub stick it in the spare bathroom. Many realtors still spout the same line they did 30 years ago and still take horrible pictures of hhouses and property and leave out pics of outbuildings, ships etc that are selling points of houses.
(09-06-2017, 03:30 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:          That's the outdated realtor speaking. Having a walk in shower in the master these days is preferred by buyers. If you have to have your tub stick it in the spare bathroom. Many realtors still spout the same line they did 30 years ago and still take horrible pictures of hhouses and property and leave out pics of outbuildings, ships etc that are selling points of houses.

I disagree.   People with small children need a place for baths.  Grandparents need a place for baths for small grandkids.  It may not matter to a percentage of folks, but I'd expect it to matter to most.  If we didn't have a garden tub (ugh...) in the master bath I'd never even consider removing the tub in the other bathroom.
My observation is that there need not be a bath in the master, but there should be a bath in the house.  Without a bath children would have to be hosed off in the yard.

Or add one of these:  [Image: 8f77a3aa-260a-48f2-b3b8-5fc53a39dd03_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would really like a curbless walk-in shower.  Not sure about the tub, sounds annoying
(09-08-2017, 10:20 AM)EricU Wrote: I would really like a curbless walk-in shower.  Not sure about the tub, sounds annoying
I also like the concept of a curbless walk-in shower but I worry about leaks.  

I will be replacing my shower in the master bedroom with a Kohler cast iron shower base with a porcelain finish.  At least I know that it will never leak. (But not nearly as decorative as some of the hand laid tiles can be.)  The overall height is 4", but I believe that the step out height is less than 3".

https://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna...6_spec.pdf
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Do a kerdi shower and waterproof the bathroom floor with Ditra and run kerdi up the wall to baseboard height. No risk of leaks.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
make sure you have a 75gal gas water heater to fill it.