Hock blade + short cap screw
I recently purchased a new Hock blade for my Stanley #4.  I"m finding that the cap screw is a little too short.

Is it possible to find a longer cap screw ?
Earlier types, say 6-11, may have shorter frog screws, what type #4?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-04-2017, 08:33 PM)digger Wrote: I recently purchased a new Hock blade for my Stanley #4.  I"m finding that the cap screw is a little too short.

You're saying the blade is too thick for the chipbreaker screw to reach through and grab?

I feel like most are the same length.  Do you have any other bench planes you can try that screw?  They are all the same.
OK, is it the bolt that holds the chipbreaker TO the iron?   SOL

Or, is it the one for the lever cap?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-04-2017, 09:13 PM)Admiral Wrote: Earlier types, say 6-11, may have shorter frog screws, what type #4?

I think it's an 18. I bought a T13 #5 from you and the hock blade is fine on there. You can actually see that the screw protrudes a bit further out.

I can get the screw in, but if I try and cut the gap between the blade and the iron cap, it won't hold. Wants to push the cap past the blade. 

I will buy one, but how can I be sure it will fit properly ?
(09-04-2017, 09:27 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: You're saying the blade is too thick for the chipbreaker screw to reach through and grab?

I feel like most are the same length.  Do you have any other bench planes you can try that screw?  They are all the same.

It reaches and grabs. But it will not hold if you try and set the gap tight. 

I have a #5 that it fits perfect on, you can actually see that the screw protrudes further.
Switch it over to the #4 and see
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I was confused, thought it was the frog screw for the lever cap.  Those chipbreaker screws are all the same size, generally
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-05-2017, 08:33 AM)Admiral Wrote: I was confused, thought it was the frog screw for the lever cap.  Those chipbreaker screws are all the same size, generally

I guess it's possible for the particular one you have to just be too short, maybe over the years someone ground it down or maybe it came from a weird non bailey pattern plane at some point.

I would think any random cap iron screw would be very likely to fit.
(09-04-2017, 08:33 PM)digger Wrote: I recently purchased a new Hock blade for my Stanley #4.  I"m finding that the cap screw is a little too short.

Call Ron Hock. I bet he takes care of you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site