ridgid planer replacement
Hi folks,

The Ridgid 4330 finally kicked the bucket - just wont start. Opened it up, nothing obvious. Probably something electrical in the motor.

I have a few projects coming up and really need something as a replacement.
I have a small basement shop (not walkout). I could go with a 15" beast from Grizzly with a spiral/helical head but getting it into the basement will be a pain at best and a project onto itself at worst.

So what are my options - dewalt 735x is the obvious contender. Adding a shelix head can be a future upgrade.
But with so many ready to go compact planers shipping with spiral heads - I am tempted to go that route with something like a Rikon/?Cutech etc

Anyone have experience or opinions on the above options?

Thanks!
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.
I have the DW 735, but it's the only planer I've ever had. It's been great for me and I used to have a basement shop. It's heavy, but a hand truck will make it easy. I also have the infeed/out feed tables and the Wixley height gauge. I would recommend both. I thought about the spiral head upgrade, but couldn't justify it.

I have it on a flip top table with a Ridgid sander on the other side. The planer is much heavier, but it's lower center of gravity makes them balance fairly well.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(09-06-2017, 08:36 AM)nocrapman Wrote: Hi folks,

The Ridgid 4330 finally kicked the bucket - just wont start. Opened it up, nothing obvious. Probably something electrical in the motor.

Sure it is the machine and not just the switch?

My planer died but when I sent it to a repair shop, they fixed it for the cost of the switch plus labor. If I knew, I could replace the switch myself.

Ridgid 4331 is about half the cost of DW 735, but it delivers a respectable performance for its cost and is consistently rated the Best Value choice by magazines, in case you have a tight budget for add-ons.

Simon
(09-06-2017, 09:07 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Sure it is the machine and not just the switch?

My planer died but when I sent it to a repair shop, they fixed it for the cost of the switch plus labor. If I knew, I could replace the switch myself.

Ridgid 4331 is about half the cost of DW 735, but it delivers a respectable performance for its cost and is consistently rated the Best Value choice by magazines, in case you have a tight budget for add-ons.

Simon

I have not checked the switch but will do so.
Thanks for the heads up!
The Apple wont fall;
(09-06-2017, 09:35 AM)nocrapman Wrote: I have not checked the switch but will do so.
Thanks for the heads up!

When you access the switch, blow it out with compressed air if you can or squirt in some WD40. It is not uncommon with woodworking tools for fine dust to cause a switch to malfunction.
Most likely the switch like mentioned. 

The Cutech is the old Ridgid planer with the spiral head added by steel city when they were producing it. I had relatives visiting Memphis and I tried to get in contact with Cutech to get a new platen for my planer but they do not answer their email they do not answer their phone and their location is an HVAC shop. That makes me very  leary of buying from them. 

Also there aren't many cutters on that cutterhead. Not sure if it's any quieter than the regular knife blade. But lunchbox planers are quite a bit quieter than the popular import  15" planer and way way quieter than the really old 16" pm planer that nneeds a forklift...
(09-06-2017, 05:15 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Most likely the switch like mentioned. 

Well the I am unable to get to the switch unless I take the thing apart, which I don't want to do.
Will try taking it to HD and ask them to honor the lifetime warranty.
The Apple wont fall;
Be advised - only the made in USA gray colored Ridgid tools carried a lifetime guaranty against manufacturers defects. The "made overseas" orange colored tools carry a 3 year new tool guaranty and may be enrolled by their first owner in Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA). No enrollment, no support after 3 years. Check the Ridgid website for details. Home Depot licenses the Ridgid name and that is, I believe, the extent of Home Depot's support of Ridgid.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
(09-09-2017, 12:06 PM)toolie Wrote: Be advised - only the made in USA gray colored Ridgid tools carried a lifetime guaranty against manufacturers defects.  The "made overseas" orange colored tools carry a 3 year new tool guaranty and may be enrolled by their first owner in Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA).  No enrollment, no support after 3 years.  Check the Ridgid website for details. Home Depot licenses the Ridgid name and that is, I believe, the extent of Home Depot's support of Ridgid.

Good point. Mine is the old grey one and has run more through it with less issues than the jet 15" we bought for the HS and it's quieter... 

The deal was years ago when the manufacturing went from Emerson to TTI you had a short time to register your old grey tools to keep the lifetime warranty as it technically wasn't the same company anymore and it was a courtesy warranty carryover. My planer did not get registered and tthey won't repair it. Hence why I had to replace the in feed roller myself and why I will need to buy the platen myself. 

The good thing is this planer like others has lived a long life through several different others and companies so there is a trail of replacement parts and it's been the same machine from day one. So the parts are all the same regardless of who was selling it at the time. The current black plastic is better looking than the grey and  way better than the orange. 

If anyone has any luck getting in touch with Cutech let me know cause I would like to purchase a platen for mine but I won't place an order yet as their company is fishy as there is no way to contact them.